Skip to main content

Our Miniature Dinosaur Series (plus a terrific early childhood education teaching tip)

One of the early childhood education teaching strategies I’ve been learning and applying is a concept called “scaffolding”.

Basically it’s about guiding a child’s learning by building upon something they already know or are interested in to gradually explore new experiences and skills.

One cool series I’ve been scaffolding and building and expanding on is our little series on dinosaurs.

A mini dinosaur playground #playinvitations #play #toddleractivity #playground #dinosaurs

A post shared by Serenely (@livingserenely) on

It all started spontaneously with a mini dinosaur play invitation I had set up. I had put together a very simple mini dinosaur playground with various items --a few wooden blocks and toys, some rocks and synthetic grass for texture, and miniature dinosaur figurines.

The next day, Nathan asked me to set up the mini dinosaur playground again --which I did. And this time I also brought out some dinosaur books from our collection. I asked him to match the dinosaur figurines to the pictures as I read out the names of the different dinosaurs.

Later in the week, I decided to mix up our play dough session by throwing in some dinosaur figurines together with a few other props. Nathan had so much fun with this imaginative play, creating three different swampy jungles for three dinosaur friends.

The pinnacle of this series for me was when Nathan suddenly came up to me one afternoon and showed me this dinosaur he made from our Lego/Duplo blocks completely on his own. No prompting from me whatsoever.

What do you think of this ‘scaffolding’ teaching technique? Is it something you would consider trying out at home with your own little ones?


Images taken from my instagram @livingserenely

Linking up to  Sakura Haruka,
Little Drummer Boys and
Twinkle in the Eye

Also connecting with Toni for her #52weeksofmemories series
with this week’s theme on #Learning

Comments

  1. I love this! I am always taking tips from your instagram photos and storing them away for future reference. Your kids are so lucky to have such a creative mum. Go Nathan for making a dinosaur on his own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a clever strategy with children and looks a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great strategy. So many more things you can do - I find by grabbing hold of what they are interested in they will stay attentive for longer periods. Dinosaurs were a winner in our house too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I'd give this a shot, I see they do this at my son's kindy also, think they call it building on 'something' - can't remember. I do hope it's going well? I'm sure the kids in your care are loving it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea, I will definitely have to let this idea flow with my girls. Play doh is a great medium to use too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love watching my little one learn and develop through play. Every milestone is a joy to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great. Love how he improvised on his own too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of the concept of scaffolding so thanks for sharing. I love the dinosaur idea very sensory too isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scaffolding is a wonderful way of teaching and I really llove how a child learns spontaneously that way. So much joy and creativity too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a natural teacher! How clever is Nathan for creating the dinosaur all on his own too! I love learning activities that involve imaginative play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »