Skip to main content

My blogger toolbox

Every Sunday afternoon is my blogging time. It’s my time of the week where I read, write, comment and catch up on what my fellow bloggers have been up to.

After putting the kids (and the hubby) down for their afternoon nap, I revel for a moment in the peace and quiet, and perch myself in front of my laptop with a cup of tea, and open up all my favourite go-to applications and tools on my desktop.

DSC05446

Here are my favourite applications and tools I use during my blogging time…

First stop, Feedly: my RSS feed reader of choice. I do browse through a few posts throughout the week, but on Sunday afternoons I enjoy taking my time to read through the various posts of bloggers I follow and click through their links to give some comment love.

Second stop, Blogger: where I make a stop at my blog to read through and respond to comments, and click through to fellow bloggers’ links to catch up on what they’ve been up to.

Next stop, Windows Live Writer: Although blogger is my chosen blogging platform, I do my actual blog writing on Windows Live Writer. I find it so much easier and intuitive to write and format my post through this Word-doc like platform. I link my blogger account across so my blog theme is integrated into the post as I write and it’s quick and easy to publish or schedule each post directly once I’m done.

I also switch across to Windows Photo Gallery to manage and edit my photos. I love having beautiful images for my posts, unfortunately I don’t have much time to play around with Photoshop to edit them (although I know Photoshop is a wonderful tool for that). I like the quick and easy buttons and filters in Windows Photo Gallery to give my photos a quick fix up before I post them.

And another favourite reference I use is Thesaurus.com. Every writer needs a good Thesaurus. And for bloggers, the online version is the ideal alternative. If I get stuck on a word or need to find a different way to express something, this is my go-to site to help me.

And finally, I jump onto to Hootsuite, my new favourite app in my blogger toolbox. As every blogger knows, the last important thing they need to do is to share and promote. I only recently jumped back onto the Twitter bandwagon. I was reluctant to do so for a long time because I was worried of adding yet another social media arm to my profile. But this tool has been a terrific help in enabling me to cross-post my updates and sharing across a couple of platforms in one step.

 

What about you? What are your favourite tools and tricks you use in writing? I’d loved to know!

 

Linking up to the IBOT party

Comments

  1. Hi Serene - thanks for the fabulous rundown. Being fairly new to the whole blogging world, that was hugely helpful. Off to check out Hoot Suite, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is a great system you follow. I go with the flow, write when I can and where I can and upload, process and link to social media as the flow takes me xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, you sure do have a good routine going there. My blog is a bit more haphazard than that - it's just squeezed in when I have time! Must suss out Hoot Suite :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a trick or any tools for that matter! I blog when I can, and either find pics online or use my IG pics. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are my days off work so Wednesday is usually my catch-up-on-blogs day, but since I started back and uni I find there's usually uni work to do instead. Your Sunday afternoons sound lovely. -Aroha (for #teamIBOT)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great system the. I used to use hoot suite when I was on twitter but rarely go on it now so if I need to schedule anything I can do that directly in Facebook (yay). My biggest tools are canva and pic monkey for editing photos and making graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an awesome system to use.
    I used to write my posts in word because I was so afraid that my page would reset and I'd lose a whole blog post. I haven't done it for a while though but I really need to get back into the habit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading and I am learning so much from you. Thank you so much for sharing and posting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »