Skip to main content

Activity idea for kids: Bread Painting

This is an idea I had pinned some time ago, and recently pulled it out for a morning tea activity.

All you need is:

  • Bread
  • Brush
  • Milk
  • Food colouring

Simply add a few drops of food colouring to some milk, and you have your paint!

Then hand the brush to the little artist and let them have fun creating their little work of art to eat afterwards.

DSC05211

The coloured milk shows up surprisingly well against the bread. I was worried at first that the bread would simply absorb the milk and the colours would just end up smudgy and pale. But as you can see from the photo below, even the yellow showed up really brightly.

DSC05213

I also took the opportunity to illustrate some colour mixing – blue and yellow make green, red and blue make purple, and so on. Nathan wondered what would happen if we mixed all the colours up together, so I let him experiment for himself to see what would happen.

DSC05214

After that, we popped the coloured bread into the toaster and enjoyed it for our afternoon tea. It tasted especially delicious to Nathan since he made it himself.

DSC05215

More kids activity and play ideas shared here or on my pinterest page.

 

Linking up to Sakura Haruka,
Little Drummer Boys and
Twinkle in the Eye

Comments

  1. That's a cute and simple activity! Will definitely be trying this with my 2 1/2 year old soon. Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting activity for little minds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever idea, my kids would love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea, love that they get to eat it too lol. Gotta try this out next week, I know Izzy is going to love it, but I will get a look as if I have gone round the bend and her being unsure about painting her food!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »