Skip to main content

A wormy love story (a fun book play for kids)

One of Nathan’s favourite activities is playing a book we are currently reading.

This is one of our current favourites which I had picked up from our local library a couple of weeks ago…

DSC05257
Jonathan and Marthaby Petre Horáček

It’s quite a cute story --about two worms named Jonathan and Martha who inadvertently met one day through their love of eating, learnt to share their stuff (i.e. food), and eventually fell in love.

DSC05258
A love story between two worms

We loved the story so much that one day I decided to vary our story time session that day by preparing a few simple props to play the story together.

DSC05252
Preparing a few simple props to play the story

I used a couple of craft pipe-cleaners to play Jonathan and Martha and a few pieces of fruit (a mixed of real ones and some pretend ones).

DSC05256
We used craft pipe-cleaners to play the worms

Nathan had so much fun puppeteering the two pipe-cleaner worms as I narrated the story, making them munch through the different types of fruit and food.

DSC05255
Nathan had so much fun puppeteering the two worms

Playing a story is a terrific way to stir little imaginations to help them the discover magic of books and show them how a story can come alive. There are no limits to the different types of books to use and ways to do this activity together with your little ones.

 

What are some of your current or all-time favourite reads in your household?

Linking up to Sakura Haruka,
Little Drummer Boys and
Twinkle in the Eye

Comments

  1. I don't know this story, but it looks a whole lot like The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which is a huge hit here. We have a giant board book version with a plush caterpillar that fits through the holes. Lots of fun for little fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally reminded me of the very hungry caterpillar too! We are only up to touch and feel books so far, but they're lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely way to use a simple story and increase interaction with the narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to learn Serene. A recent favorite in our household has been stanley the manly ferry - a library book we borrowed! The Little Man loves it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful idea Serene, we did this with Dear Zoo and gave our son a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so cool Trish. We bought Dear Zoo at Werribee Zoo for our girls, they love it.

      Delete
    2. That is going all the way with bringing a book to life! I'm sure they will always treasure the memory of the story for life :)

      Delete
  6. Such a clever idea Serene! Did I tell you I have made a little reading corner thanks to your inspiration the other day, took books out of the tidy shelves and let them play with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you found the idea for the reading corner helpful. Hope it helps the reading bug catch on in your home!

      Delete
  7. My youngest LOVES books, she will sit on my lap and just keep bringing book after book. We have a book called 'Walter the farting dog' it is alwasy a winner with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea. It's a great way to get them active and kick start their imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bringing a book to life. That's cute :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »