Skip to main content

A great tip for encouraging kids to read by themselves

So as I was organising the different little ‘corners’ for my family day care, I came across one fantastic tip

“Collect all the books”

serenefdc_readingcorner

I used to have our children’s books stacked neatly on a shelf which I took out as needed to read with Nathan. However it was never really purposely set up as a dedicated reading corner.

Although Nathan loved reading books, it was always only together with me. He never really flipped through a whole book by himself without me sitting next to him.

As part of the family day care redecorating project, I had set up a dedicated reading corner with all the books collected together, comfy rugs, cushions and chairs for little ones.

And I was absolutely amazed at the unexpected results it brought about…

DSC05339

One afternoon, I caught sight of Nathan comfortably nestled amidst the books in our new reading corner, quietly poring over a book all by himself.

DSC05342

Since then, every so often he’ll head to this little nook by himself to spend some quiet time alone with a book.

DSC05345

I just love this new reading revolution our reading corner has brought about… long may it continue!

 

Do you have a reading corner in your home?
How do you instil a love of books in your little ones?

[UPDATE on our reading corner ten months down the track]

 

Linking up to Jess for IBOT

Comments

  1. Reading is such a great thing for kids to love. It opens whole other worlds of creativity up for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you have just inspired me to get the 100s of books my books have neatly stacked in their room and spread them about! Thanks for sharing. Also thanks for all your lovely support and words last week when I was in hosp - he's home and on the mend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! The reading bug has been caught!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I've had reading corners on occasion but my girls never really used them, but now that it's just me and my little book worm I think I might create one as he's obsessed with reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea - I have one of those wooden dish racks to re-purpose too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would really love to have a reading corner set up like this, filled with children books. I love children books I would buy all used one if I have the money , :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »