Skip to main content

Make your own cream cheese

image

I love cheese. One of my favourite grocery indulgences is picking up package of fresh cheese from the deli counter… ricotta, mozzarella, feta, haloumi, I love them all!

I have always wanted to learn to make my own fresh cheese from scratch at home. However at the moment, I am lacking quite a few of the essential equipment and ingredients needed to do so. But then I came across this amazing and easy recipe for homemade cream cheese.

I’ve tried it out for myself a few times and I assure you it is totally doable. And you will be pretty blown away by the results.

What you need:

  • 1 kg of natural unsweetened Greek yoghurt
  • Half a teaspoon of salt
  • A cheesecloth or muslin bag
  • A fine sieve or colander
  • A large bowl

Mix the salt with yoghurt. Then pour the yoghurt into the cheesecloth and place it into the colander. Stand the colander over the bowl and leave in the fridge overnight.

DSC03772

The next morning, the whey would have completely drained from the yoghurt, leaving behind a thick and creamy kind of ‘cheese’. Tip the cheese out of the cloth and save the whey for another use.

It tastes awesome drizzled with honey and some fresh bread.

DSC03774

You can experiment with different flavours by mixing in various spices and herbs in the yoghurt before setting it to drain.

(The whey that is left behind actually has a lot of nutritional properties in it. You can mix it in with smoothies and juices, if you don’t mind the sourish taste. I also found it great in pancakes)

 

Linking up to DinoMama and The Multitasking Mummy

Comments

  1. Wow, that's really cool. I am going to try this one day, we love our cream cheese here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes a little different than regular cream cheese... but the slight sourish tinge has kind of a Mediterranean touch to it... I also like to drizzle some olive oil over it and enjoy it with some flat bread.

      Delete
  2. I have wanted to try cheese but did not know where to start. Thanks for sharing, will definitely give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya. Thanks for stopping by. This cream cheese tastes different from the usual commercial cream cheese. But if you take it for what it is, a fresh, tangy cheese with a Mediterranean tinge, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »