Skip to main content

Mummy the Lumberjack

DSC05218

For the longest time, we have let our rosemary bush in our backyard grow out of control.

We had planted it in quite a prime spot in the garden because I thought it would be nice to have easy access to fresh rosemary whenever I needed it for recipes and cooking. And we were told that rosemary would a terrific herb to plant as they are very hardy and easy to grow.

Little did we know the monster it would grow into.

Like the fabled enormous turnip, this rosemary bush just grew and grew and grew!

The biggest problem was that it became somewhat of a hazard and kept growing across the walkway leading to the backyard and play area. Quite dangerous for little children, actually.

I decided that it was finally time to destroy this monster.

It was a pretty scary looking thing actually. The top of the bush stood even higher than our fence, and it had creepy octopus like tentacle-like branches extending out everywhere.

I got out our pair of garden shears (it was all we had) and started hacking away at the branches one at time. It was simply pathetic. At the rate I was going, it would take me a whole year, hacking away at it like that.

So I called my brother-in-law and asked to borrow his chainsaw. This time I would go back into battle, guns blazing.

I had never used a chainsaw before in my life. The only high powered gadget I’ve used was my food processor.

However I was really determined on getting rid of that rosemary bush as soon as possible. So I geared myself up with gloves and goggles, hoisted up the chainsaw and revved up the motor.

Vrrrrroooooooom!!!

Gosh, that’s one powerful motor.

I angled the saw against a branch and pushed the running blades against it and in less than two seconds, it was sawed off. Wow!

It was quite a thrilling feeling watching each big ugly branch from that bush fall off effortlessly one by one against the whizzing blades of that chainsaw.

I felt strangely powerful wielding this weapon in my hands.

So what’s the point of this story?

Nothing really. I just wanted to share how much I enjoyed using a chainsaw. But rest assured that I shall only be using it strictly within the confines of my own garden in my backyard.

 

What’s the most powerful gadget or machine you’ve handled? Did you enjoy using it a little too much?

 

Linking up to Jess at IBOT

Comments

  1. LOL! Go you! My Husband does the chainsaw bit and I would never touch it. Ours is a monster and I am not sure if I could even lift it! That bush grew huge and very worth a blog post I think! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one abundant rosemary bush. Doesn't it smell divine? You're so brave using a chainsaw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I just wanted to share how much I enjoyed using a chainsaw." LOL. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have your tool of choice Serene! We have a rosemary bush growing in a pot so unlikely to need a chain saw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha you crack me up Serene, it's a bit of a buzz right? You should write a little book about it for your care kids!! I hope you took pics! Em - also visiting as part of @teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perth Chainsaw Massacre - a horror film for rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha!!
    I once sanded down our dining room table and that was awesome! Most fun ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go mummy lumber jack I think I would be afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I get pruning shears I have to watch out as I tend to see what else I can chop and tidy up
    Alexa from Sydney , Australia
    Blogging at http://www.Alexa-asimplelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wondering, did it sprout new shoots and grow back from that massive pruning session?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cam! So far the original root hasn't sprouted back. There were a couple of small sproutlings scattered nearby which I think were offshoots from the root but those were easily plucked out. It will still be another massive job to dig out the root from the ground.

      Delete
    2. Hello Cam! So far the original root hasn't sprouted back. There were a couple of small sproutlings scattered nearby which I think were offshoots from the root but those were easily plucked out. It will still be another massive job to dig out the root from the ground.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »