Skip to main content

Creepy crawly things

I generally consider myself to be a fairly strong and stoic person when it comes to yucky stuff. I have quite a high tolerance level when it comes to the poop factor, and I hardly blink an eye when dealing with my children’s vomit, blood and other bodily fluids.

But when it comes to bugs and insects, I turn into a whole other creature.

Whenever I encounter a spider or cricket or any type of creepy crawly, I am reduced to a quivering damsel in distress. And my hubby will have to swoop in as my knight in shining armour to remove the offending creature.

But I have this uncanny ability of surprising myself.

This week, while I was plucking some oregano from the garden, I stumbled across this horrifying creature…

A wriggly, wiggly little caterpillar

DSC05509

My first instinct was to run away screaming at the top of my lungs. But then my family day care educator mode suddenly took over. I immediately saw a learning opportunity right before me. So I carefully picked up the caterpillar with a spoon and transferred it into a clear plastic container (although the hairs on the back of my neck and arm were standing up the entire time).

DSC05510(2)

I then called the kids over to have a look. They were completely fascinated and mesmerised. They just looked and looked, asked a million questions. We went out to the garden to plucked more leaves to feed the caterpillar. The whole activity kept them absorb for close to half an hour. And throughout the day, they kept asking to look at their baby caterpillar.

I consider my act of bravery completely paid off at the sight of these little ones learning and observing.

What’s your ick factor when it comes to creepy crawlies?
Have you ever surprised yourself with doing something out of the ordinary?

 

Linking up to
Twinkle in the Eye and
Little Drummer Boys

Comments

  1. I like to observe creepy crawlies from a distance - sometimes up close. They are some times very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a wee bit like you Serene, can deal with fluids but not bugs! But you did well here and I'm sure the kids got a real kick out of this gorgeous green creature - GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 3yo who'd have loved to join in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, not my favourite thing either, Serene! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »