Skip to main content

Update on our revolutionary little reading corner

So last year when I was setting up my home for my family day care, I implemented this simple but life-changing tip on organising children’s books. Which resulted in the revolution and evolution of our reading corner.

DSC06447

This little scene above has become almost a spontaneous daily post-dinner ritual with our own two little ones. After dinner once we’ve cleared the dishes, right on cue these two head over to this corner, pull out a book (or two or three) and just read quietly to themselves.

This corner is also well-loved and well-used by all the other children that come to our place throughout the day. It’s an ideal little ‘getaway’ corner when a little one just needs some quiet time on their own to chill out and reset.

So slowly, I’ve been adding more little touches to make the corner more comfy and cosy. And hubby also insisted on the addition of an LED reading light at the corner, because good lighting is important for reading of course. It’s not the fanciest reading corners like the ones on Pinterest, but the children seem to like it all the same.

I’m so glad that I found this brilliant way to pass on my love of books and reading to my kids.

(P.S. A quick glimpse of the various ‘little corners’ of my family day care set up when I first started)

Comments

  1. Awwww..Its good that your children have that reading ritual after dinner..I think I should do it with mine too. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayuni, yes the reading ritual thing is really one of the surprising things that came about for us too. I'm not sure if it's a foolproof method, but definitely putting books in a prime, comfy spot might potentially help set the 'honey' to attract the bees ^_^

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »