Skip to main content

Flipping perspectives

You can probably guess that I’m still somewhat in the holiday mode and still trying to catch on various things on my plate. So today I thought I’d direct you over to a friend’s place if you’re after something good to read. It’s not entirely random as it’s actually sort of connected to an earlier post I had written before on the topic of ‘sharing’.

The post I wrote on that topic could be construed as somewhat controversial as I gave my honest viewpoints on the misuse of the term ‘sharing’. I wrote that real sharing should be about collaborating or finding a fair solution that benefits the whole group. But often what happens when we ask a child to share something is that they are forced to give up that item simply because the adult tells them to.

I believe I kept the post pretty factual but perhaps there was still a slightly pessimistic tone to the post simply because my focus in the post was about what we should not do.

Then one of my dearest friends did the unexpected. Although if you know her, it’s actually not very unexpected for her to do what she did.

She pondered over some of the thoughts I shared and turned it completely around.

Simply put, it’s not just about what we should not do. But what what we should do.

I tend to be someone who is all about upholding justice and championing rights. Which are not wrong of course. Justice should be upheld. Rights should be protected--my own, as well as others who need it.

But I realise that there is also another higher calling. Beyond justice, codes of conduct and fair play.

And the answer is: LOVE.

Love that compels us to give up our rights, advantages, dominion, priorities, benefits, dibs for the sake of another.

Beside it, all other things seem hollow and pale in its light.

So please read my friend’s post. Especially if you have read my earlier one on the whole sharing issue. The flip side to everything I wrote about.

by the waters: Cast your love
WAITINGINTHEWATERS.BLOGSPOT.COM | BY IRENE SUN

 

Comments

  1. My dearest Serene, Your words blessed me so much today. Your first post was definitely helpful, and your stories stirred up the Mama Bear in me. I have felt those very emotions, desiring justice for my boys (and other not as noble thoughts). Thank you for voicing your thoughts, I really appreciate having a friend to process these new phases in life (even if you are thousands of miles away).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only you would think of the higher call to rise beyond this. I am humbled by the alternative perspective you shared.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »