Skip to main content

Homemade Lavender Tea

I’m not really much of a gardener. I leave almost all the planting, weeding, pruning and watering to my man. But the one section I do love most in our garden is our lavender plot.

DSC02603

There is just something so therapeutic and soothing about the scent of lavender. Sometimes when I need a quick pick-me-up, I head out and pluck a couple of stalks, rub them in my palm and breathe in the scent.

Another lovely way I use my lavender is to make my own  Lavender Tea

After harvesting the lavender, I wash the flowers in water and lay them out on a clean towel to dry (usually 2-3 days in good warm weather)

DSC02910

Once they are completely dried, I pick the flowers off the stems and strip the tiny blossoms off

DSC02480

Then I mix them together with some good quality black loose-leaf tea leaves – approximate 1:1 ratio. If you don’t want to add the black tea, you can also enjoy the lavender tea just plain as it is

DSC02913

To enjoy, simply scoop a couple of teaspoons into a tea ball or an infuser, pour in some hot water and let it steep for a minute or so.

DSC02916

The effect you get is a whiff of lavender with each sip – not too overpowering

DSC02917

These would also make lovely gifts sewn up in some small muslin bags in little tea sachets

Apart from lavender, you can also try this method with other herbs like mint or basil.

Happy Friday!

~~~

Linking up to

Photobucket

Comments

  1. YOU HAVE LAVENDER!!!!!
    Are you staying in Singapore???
    I failed to keep my pot of lavender alive :( it dried up and died after couple of months. So sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DinoMama... we're in Perth, Australia. But I understand that lavender theoretically can grow anywhere. However they need lots of sunlight and no overwatering. I killed one of my lavender bushes due to overwatering... apparently blackening/browning of lavender could due to overwatering or overhumidity rather than the opposite. Alternatively you can try making herb tea from other options like mint or basil :)

      Delete
    2. Ours were out in the sun (ok maybe too hot?) and we only water it once a day.

      I seriously think I have to paint my hands all green so that my plants will not die in them wahahah~

      Delete
    3. No idea... it sounds like the right theoretical conditions. I recently gave my mum a present of a lavender planting kit, so I'll see how she goes with that. She is an avid garderner so maybe she can narrow down the secret to growing lavender in tropical climate.

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I never seemed to keep any plant alive, not even those that meant for growing indoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweetday! I'm actually the same as you. Credit to the garden goes to my hubby and my mum who does an intensive treatment to the garden every time she visits. I just have the privilege of enjoying the fruits of their labour!

      Delete
  3. I think we have lavender in our garden. The bees love it. I might have to try this tea recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bees are always all over our lavender too! If you're a fan of lavender you should like this tea. You can also just steep the lavender just as it is in hot water for decaf version

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »