Skip to main content

Chemistry is fun and tasty!

A couple of weeks ago, we headed out to Curtin University to check out their Chemistry Department (a.k.a. ChemCentre) who were holding their annual open day to the public.

It was a free event, and the organisers had promised free ice cream and fairy floss for everyone. Plus I thought it would be a fun way to introduce Nathan to some of the concepts of science.

DSC05928

We learnt that the key to being a scientist is using your senses to investigate, explore and discover. Each of the activities and booths were set up to introduce one of these sensory elements, such as…

 

Our sense of smell to investigate mystery items hidden in jars

DSC05930

 

Our sense of taste to investigate mystery flavoured water in beakers

DSC05913

 

Our sense of sight to investigate different metals reaction to fire

DSC05932

 

Nathan had fun pouring liquids into tubes and beakers and seeing the colours change
depending on the reaction of different alkaline and acidic chemicals with each other

DSC05936

 

There was a scientific art booth using food colouring to observe the effects of chromatography

DSC05939

 

And of the course the big yummy highlights of the event…

Learning about the science of centrifugal force to make fairy floss

DSC05917\DSC05921

 

As well as making (and eating) ice cream made with liquid nitrogen

DSC05946

 

Science is indeed fun and tasty too!

 

(Linking up to Jess @ IBOT)

Comments

  1. My goodness isn't he growing up so fast! There was a science fair thing here a few weeks ago but I thought mine were too young to go - I wish I had taken them now! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan must have had a blast trying out the experiments and best of all, those yummy treats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great is that. Wished I lived closer to things like this. Science is something my son loves too

    ReplyDelete
  4. The look of intense concentration on his face is darling! What an awesome way to get kids excited about science!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh they would have had me at the free ice cream! This looks like SO much fun. Makes me want to be a kid again. #TeamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great event to take kids too! Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »