Skip to main content

The sleepy house

So our house has been affectionately nicknamed as ‘The Sleepy House’. I’m not entirely sure why, but there is something about our place that helps all the little ones sleep so well.

DSC04292
Little Grace when she was three months old sleeping soundly

I used to think that I just happened to be blessed with kids who turned out to be really good sleepers and nappers. But now that I’ve started having more little ones around in my family day care --all who happen to sleep really well whenever they are at our house (at least two and sometimes even three hour-long naps). And their parents all insist that they never sleep this well at home.

Maybe it’s sleepy dust. Or something in our water. Whatever it is, it seems safe to say that it’s more than coincidence that sleep descends so well on everyone during naptime at our house.

So I thought I’d share a few personal tips from our Sleepy House…

#1. Burn off their energy
This is probably the most challenging part of the programme. I certainly don’t fancy a hoard of wild children descending upon my house and tearing everything apart. The key is about devising ways to channel their little energies constructively. It also takes some level of discipline to keep TV to a bare minimum, even if it often seems to be the more convenient option. At the end of it, you should be rewarded with a bunch of tired but happy little ones, eager for a good, solid nap.

#2. Fill up their tummies
I personally find it difficult to sleep soundly if my stomach is growling non-stop. So I think it would be the same for kids. This can be challenging for picky eaters, but as much as possible I try my best to make sure they have something in their tummies to see them through the afternoon until tea time.

#3. Have a regular wind down routine
This is something I never compromise on. Always without fail, after lunch and packing the toys away, we’ll read a story together before naptime. Young children are not able to tell time yet, so they rely on regular cues to guide them onto the next activity. Whether it is a familiar lullaby, a cup of warm milk or a cuddle, it always helps children to have a predictable cue for naptime.

#4. Work on quiet activities during nap time
As tempting as it can be sometimes to continue bustling around while the kids are sleeping, I also try to plan some downtime around the children’s naptime to keep the whole environment around the house quiet and chilled out. I bustle around a little bit to finish off some cleaning and packing up for the first 20-30 minutes or so, before settling down to do some quiet paperwork and admin while the kids sleep.

#5. Plan quiet activities for early wakers
I prepare some quiet activities like puzzles, books and colouring to occupy the early wakers. I believe in respecting rest time for everyone and not disturbing others just because you don’t feel like resting. I found that after enforcing this practice, the number of early wakings started to diminish. Possibly because the kids realised that waking up early doesn’t mean party time can resume immediately.

#6. Keep the room temperature cool (even in winter)
This would be my number one magic tip. Have you noticed how nice it feels to snuggle up under the covers in cold weather?  However I think many parents tend to turn up the heat in their little one’s rooms during winter to ensure they are warm and toasty. I believe this might actually be counterintuitive.  Studies have actually found that we sleep better in cooler temperatures. So just make sure your little one is sufficiently clad in warm and comfy pyjamas, and adjust the temperature in the room just enough to take the chill off (rather than simply heating the whole room up).

Conversely, in summer, many households might tend to turn up the air-conditioning to keep everyone cool. But keep in mind that there is an optimal temperature for sleep. If the temperature starts to drop below a certain point, it will likely cause us to wake up. So keep this in mind when setting your air-con temperature and try to allow some fresh air to circulate through the room as well.

 

Do you have any personal sleepy dust tips to share?

 

Linking up to Jess @IBOT

Comments

  1. You better be careful or you will have half of the blogging world wanting to drop their kids at your place!!! My kids were always good sleepers too, and kept their daytime naps right til they went to school. I found having a cool room/snuggly temperature were essential, we had one bedroom that was air conditioned and the kids would nap there when they were little - I wouldn't want to sleep either in a sauna which is what their bedrooms turned into in Summer.

    Visiting today from #teamIBOT xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can't under value a good routine. I found the kids I used a flexible routine with, where much better sleepers than the others. They learn to know what's expected of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips you have!! My little one never seems to like sleep even now she's two, no matter what. I might try out the temperature tip ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »