Skip to main content

Strangely optimistic + a glimpse into my day care set up

So after a somewhat slow and shaky start to my family day care business opening, the calls and enquiries have really started rolling in steadily over the past couple of weeks. I’ve had a number of parent visits to my home which has been quite exciting and I now have three awesome families ready to come on board.

People still shake their head in disbelief or apprehensiveness whenever they hear about my crazy venture…

“Four kids! That’s a lot to handle!”

“I can’t believe you’re doing this”

“I could never do anything like that”

I don’t know why, but I’m still strangely optimistic about the whole thing. I’m simply excited about having a little group to be able to plan little activities to do together, coming up with a mix of different play invitations and observing their different individual plays and personalities.

Of course there’s also the messier bits, like cooking, cleaning, changing nappies, toileting and other such ‘yucky’ stuff. But I’m just choosing to roll with it. I do it every single day anyway already, so I see this as just another extension to all the daily mess I deal with now. I might come to regret these words later but for now I can only move forward and see what happens.

Anyway, I thought you might like to have a little glimpse into my home set up and a couple of the little corners and areas I’ve created for our different daily activities…

serenefdc_generalview

serenefdc_readingcorner

serenefdc_homecorner1

DSC04565

It’s a fairly simple set up for now but what do you guys think?

For you folks with three or four (or more) kids, how do you handle it all? The constant clamours for attention, the referee calls, the mess… or is there a secret place in the eye of the storm where you somehow find the calm?


This is an exciting new venture I am embarking on to set up my own family day care. Throughout this journey, I will be sharing about this project, the application process, what I’ll be learning from the training courses, my home set up, craft and activity ideas and other related bits and pieces. Through this, I hope to support and connect with other fellow day care educators and also perhaps provide a little more awareness and insight for parents (and parents-to-be) on the set up and running of a family day care. You can follow along my updates on my blog under the family day care tag.

Linking up to:
Sakura Haruka | Little Drummer Boys | Twinkle in the Eye | The Multitasking Mummy

Comments

  1. I love your 'corners', Serene - you're so organised and creative and your photos are wonderful too. Your house and the children's items in it seem really inviting and interesting for the little people who will be visiting you each day. So great to read that your business has started to take off! From the way you write, I can tell you have a real vocation to working with children. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great set up to me, much like the C&K that my son adores. You could add some dress ups to the home corner, necklaces, maybe head to one of those cheap variety stores see what they have on special. YAY for having families wanting to get on board. As for my tips, I suppose it's all about them respecting each other, no running, inside voice, sharing etc. GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such interesting 'corners'. I'm sure the children will have a great time exploring these spaces, I like the way you cater for imaginative play as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks awesome Serene! I know my kids would just love it there. Well done on getting some interested parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. how exciting Serene! What a great set up! Sure sounds like you are off to a flying start! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so lovely Serene. I wish u r in Penang :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it looks fantastic! I love how you have the books displayed in your reading corner - will be borrowing that idea! Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great little setup. I love the colour - it's so inviting. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hat goes off to you. Good luck with it. The place looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your set up. How awesome for the kids to go somewhere with only 4 kids! They will get so much more attention than they would at a normal daycare. I love seeing all your play ideas on instagram, I'm totally using them later on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had my son in family daycare before and if I came across one that looked like yours I'd be very happy. It's so great to have people like uou, there's no way I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks gorgeous Serene! I too would be happy to send my babies to your house with that setup. They really do not need much as with activities and outdoor play their day will fly by as will yours!! You are so thoughtful and enterprising the kids will have a great time learning from you. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simple is best! I am in awe of my friend who runs a family daycare. She is one awesome multitasker who has heaps of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would very much love to visit ur house, must be fun to sit in any corner and enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »