Skip to main content

Evolving. Expanding. But still writing

I’ve been blogging for close to nine years now.

Because it's IBOT tomorrow

A post shared by Serenely (@livingserenely) on

I first started out writing mainly as a way to keep family and friends updated on my life. I still do.

However recently my blogging has evolved and expanded to become a platform for me to make new connections, discover new passions, develop new skills and broaden my horizons.

A few of you might have noticed that I’ve been going through a clean up and overhaul of my blog and social media networks, working with Alison of Little Love Media to help me in this process, to get more focused and intentional about my online presence.

Among numerous things that came up, the two that I’ve been tip-toeing and ho-humming about are:

  1. Getting my own domain name;
    and
  2. Twitter.

Getting my own domain name feels like a really big, big deal to me. I somehow don’t feel I am deserving of it. I mean I’m just a tiny little blogger hardly even making a dent or even a small dimple in this huge community. So why should I get my own domain name? I’m just a little nobody.

I do know in my head all the right reasons for investing in my own domain name. I’ve had the point hammered down my throat a thousand times. In the end I know it all just comes down to me.

As for Twitter, perhaps it’s just me, but it’s simply one of those things I don’t really ‘get’.

Maybe I started out following all the wrong people to begin with, but I found the constant stream of tweets somehow a little overwhelming. But I’ve been told that I can’t really ignore Twitter if I hope to grow and expand further. So I decided to jump back on the bandwagon, strip down some my old followings, start afresh and see how it goes. If you see a @livingserenely suddenly stalking you out of nowhere, you’ll know why.

Anyway, after an honest assessment of where I’m currently at, I felt a little beaten up seeing how far away I still was from my aspirations. I also had a few discouraging moments too when it felt like nobody out there seemed to care, especially when it came to friends IRL (versus those in the blogging community). And I kept asking myself why (a pointless exercise, I know).

Perhaps I’m actually not that likeable a person.

Perhaps I’m just too different.

Perhaps people think I’m just being a show-off.

Perhaps everything I have to say is just completely pointless and irrelevant.

(Or perhaps I’m simply just digging a hole for myself to wallow in)

Then I read this

Readers are readers.
Listeners are listeners.
Friends are friends.
Humans are humans.
Honour them. Respect them. Write your _____ off for them.
Do it with grace — whether they’re standing directly in front of you, or seated halfway across the world.
Because you never know whose life YOUR words are going to touch, transform or even heal.

And I thought about the people I do know and I pictured them sitting in front of their computers/laptops/tablets/phones reading my words and genuinely wanting to find out how I’m doing.

So I knew. As long as they’re there. I’ll be here. Still writing.


Did you first hesitate over getting your own domain name? What helped you make the jump?
Is Twitter still as awesome as they say it is? How do you navigate all that tweet-minology and lingo?
Do you ever wallow in your ‘smallness’ in the great big WWW? Or do you just know that you ARE a big deal?
Am I asking too many questions today?


Blogging with Jess today on IBOT

Comments

  1. Serene, thank you for the mention. I'm glad to see that you've implemented some of the suggested changes as far as layout goes :)

    You know my stand on those two things you are hesitant about. I'll say this as a friend, rather than a consultant: you are not a nobody. Everyone is a somebody to someone. It is very easy to compare yourself to others who seem to have larger numbers of blog readers, followers etc. It does not mean your writing or presence is less, or smaller. Do not think you are undeserving of your own domain name because it's YOUR name, YOUR blog. Own it.

    As for Twitter, yes, it can be tough, overwhelming and distracting. Just as with everything else, it's up to you to make the experience your own. Be patient. Persist. Give it and yourself a chance.

    You can do it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean you are a nobody? After NINE years you are a veteran! I have been blogging for 4 years and still don't have my own domain name yet, fingers crossed for this year. See you on Twitter!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nine years?! That is a MASSIVE deal! Go out and get that domain name this week - you will feel all the better for it! As for twitter, like all social media, it serves its purpose, but it is not my only purpose Josefa #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you're one of the 'oldest' bloggers I know. I think your words have an impact and if you enjoy writing them, keep going. I look forward to following you on Twitter IG etc, although I don't have heaps of time to spare on it I try!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nine years, wow! Go and get your domain name (but only if you want to), you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are absolutely most definitely deserving of your own domain - go get one girlfriend!!! I love the new look of your blog too just by the way. As for twitter you are most welcome to come and stalk me but it'll be like the blind leading the blind as I have no idea what I'm doing there either. Brand meets blog wrote a great post on the basics of twitter which might help xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are on the same page Serene. I too have those thoughts of self doubt when it comes to this blogging world. So I really love that quote you have shared. I so do not get twitter. I cannot keep up with all the twittering I can hardly hear myself think. That is amazing you have been blogging so long. You must really love it. One thing I will say is I really love reading your words so keep them coming! Would you believe I have bought my domain but messed up the transfer on blogger and am stuck on how to fix it. One day when I have time........ Your domain is waiting for you in shinning lights go grab it !

    ReplyDelete
  8. The IRL friends is a hard one - I just don't think they understand. Goodluck with the changes - I wish I was more technologically able so I can clean up and make the changes I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you. I have felt the same about my blog. I feel the same about Twitter.
    I am glad you are going to continue, because as was stated, you never know whose life YOUR words are going to touch, transform or even heal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »