Skip to main content

Crusty bread in a pot

I enjoy the smell of bread baking in my home and eating it warm and fresh straight out of the oven. However I don’t always have the time to go through the whole process of mixing and kneading the dough (although it can be therapeutic at times).

But what would you say to a recipe for a crusty French-style loaf which requires no kneading, rolling or thumping on the kitchen counter at all? This recipe is so simple, it will blow your mind away!

I discovered this amazing recipe on Simply So Good and tried it out for myself. I have to say this is the easiest bread recipe I’ve ever made.

Ingredients
3 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water

In a large bowl, just mix all the ingredients together. Start with with the dry ingredients first, whisking it all together to ensure it’s all evenly distributed. Then pour in the water and mix everything thoroughly together.

DSC02975

You will end up with sticky wet dough that looks something like this…

DSC02977

I know things don’t seem hopeful at this point, but trust me, you are on the right track. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave it aside overnight for 12-18 hours. Do NOT refrigerate.

The next morning, your dough will have doubled in size and look something like this…

DSC02979

Now you’re thinking things are taking a pretty weird turn, but stay with me.

Next, preheat your oven to approximately 230 degrees Celsius. Then take an ordinary covered pot and pop it into the oven to pre-heat for 30 minutes.

Back to the dough, turn out the sticky dough onto a well floured surface and shape it into a round loaf. Then cover it with with cling film or a clean tea towel and leave it aside to rest for 30 minutes while the pot is pre-heating in the oven.

DSC02980

After 30 minutes, take the pre-heated pot out of the oven then pick up the dough and plop it in. Cover the pot with the lid and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the lid and bake for a further 15 minutes.

Then comes the big reveal…

DSC02981

Voila! Crusty French-style bread freshly baked from the oven…

DSC02985

It was yummy just as it is. If you make again, you can experiment with various herbs, spices, cheese, nuts and dried fruits for different variations.

Happy Friday!

~~~

Linking up to…

 Photobucket

Comments

  1. Love french bread. Thanks. But no egg wash or sugar water treatment to get a brown crust?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there's no harm giving it a try for a more shiny crusty finish... but I didn't for mine and it still turned out great

      Delete
  2. OH wow! I am so obsessed with baking bread. I will try this for sure. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »