Skip to main content

What would you do?

Hubby and I recently celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary earlier this month. We decided to have a nice laid-back dinner at Little Creatures (your recommendation, Diana!)… I always associated Little Ceatures with good locally brewed beer, but I never knew they served such great pizzas and chilli mussels… and their frites are just wow!!! I will never be fully satisfied with regular fries again.

CIMG2490

From our seats, there is a clear view of their brewery… so you can admire the process of brewing the beer while you enjoy a pint

CIMG2492

Among the various things we talked about was children… but delving a bit deeper into some of the more difficult questions around this.

You see, my colleague recently told me that her sister had found out that the 3-month baby she was carrying was indicated as having a cleft and at risk for other potential problems, like down syndrome. So they were faced with the difficult decision whether to terminate the baby. I was quite shaken when she told me this. No one in our office said anything beyond the usual sympathetic remarks… because what else could you say? Whichever decision they make, the outcome will affect them them for the rest of their lives… if they choose the terminate, the guilt will continue to haunt them through the years ahead… if they choose to keep the baby, the responsibility of carrying for a disabled child will continue to burden them as long as they live.

I was then faced with the same question. What would I do?

In the past, I would easily answer without even a flicker of doubt that my stand would be not to terminate. All children are a gift from God. How can you wilfully choose to take away another life just like that?

But now, the seemingly inevitable answer seems harder to face.

In the end I know the right thing to do based on my principles… but oh, the burden of the question weighs down so heavily. Whichever way you turn, there is no easy way to face it.

And so now, if I ever meet anyone who has ever had to face this difficult decision. I know my place can never be to judge or even to tell them what the right thing to do is. I can only shut my lips, and feel the heart wrenching pain they must be going through.

Hubby and I talked this over as we ate our pizza and frites and chilli mussels. We have not come to any easy conclusion.

I hope it’s a decision we never have to face.

If it were you, what would you do?

Comments

  1. Poor lady - I can imagine her anguish. Sometimes it's better not to know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »