Skip to main content

Roti Serene

I had been craving for the buttermilk buns from Menggatal near my hometown in Sabah. Mum used to buy some for afternoon tea on her way home from work. Just thinking about the warm soft bread filled with the sweet butter filling... mmmmm!!! *shivers in pleasure*

Unfortunately, being very far away from my hometown at present, I decided to make my own.

This is the recipe I followed:

For the bread dough
2 and 1/4 cups - high protein bread flour
1/4 cups - refined plain flour
1/2 cup - caster sugar
2 and 1/2 teaspoon - skim milk powder
2 and 1/2 teaspoons - yeast
1/2 cup - warm water
1 teaspoon - salt
30g - butter (room tempreature)
1 small egg

Combine all ingredients except butter and knead to a soft dough. Then add butter and continue kneading until elastic. If dough feels sticky, do not add flour, just continue kneading until the dough comes together (don't worry, it will!)

Prove dough for about 2 hours - i.e. set aside dough to rise in a covered bowl or container.

After first proving, take out dough and knead for a while. Then separate into small pieces. Add filling, shape into buns and put into baking trays. Set aside until buns doubles in size.

Bake buns in a preheated oven at 200 degrees celcius for about 30 minutes or until golden.




For the butter milk filling
70g butter
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
3/4 cups skim milk powder
1 small egg
1 pinch of salt

Cream butter, sugar and salt together. Then add egg bit by bit, mixing well in between. Then add milk powder and cornflour and mix together with spatula.


Results???

Well, the butter milk filling tasted lovely. But I think my bread was not 100% successful. I already suspected something was amiss when my dough refused to rise properly. I think it must be the yeast. I used one 7g sachet of instant dried yeast which I had assumed to be enough. But after checking my dough a few times, I did a quick google search to find out the problem... one person mentioned that nowadays with producers being more stingy due to rising costs, the servings of yeast sachets have been shrinking over the past few years. So it's usually necessary to use one and a half or even two sachets each time. Terrible kan? So because of that, my bread was not as soft and airy as I wanted. But it still had the sweet, milky taste which I was also aiming for.

*Sigh* What to do. Try again next time I guess.

I also used some tau sar (red bean) filling for a couple of the buns.



Hubby said they tasted super yummy! ^_^

But then he had to ask me whether they were muffins or bread...
-_-" *Haiz*

Does anyone have any other tips on what I could do to improve my bread?

Comments

  1. Yum!! You can add a tablet of crushed vitamin c. It is supposed to improve the action of the yeast to make it more airy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »