Skip to main content

Monthly play roundup: Food, glorious food!

At our place, we love playing with food. So here’s a quick roundup of some of the fun foodie things we’ve been up to lately…



~ Enjoying classic fruits in new and unusual ways ~

Fruit kebabs ~ the kids helped me to arrange them on the kebab sticks, anything seems to taste better when it’s on a stick // Mini apple cars ~ with toothpicks to hold the grape wheels in place

IMG_20160531_135015 IMG_20160518_134040


~ Pancake monster faces ~

We created own monster faces with various fruit pieces on pancake ‘faces’.
This was also an extension from the ‘Go Away Big Green Monster’ activity we did previously.

IMG_20160531_133127 Collage 2016-05-31 13_27_41


~ Freshly baked pretzels ~

Sometimes as an alternative to play dough, I whip up a batch of bread or pretzel dough for the children to ‘play with’ and come up with their own real edible creations to eat for morning tea.

IMG_20160531_135248 IMG_20160531_135358


~ Homemade calzones ~

Calzones are just a variation of our favourite homemade pizzas. The only difference is that the dough is folded over to make a sort of ‘pizza dumpling’ and then baked in the oven with all the ingredients tucked inside. This is another great way to encourage children to eat their veggies.

IMG_20160531_133540 IMG_20160531_133711


~ Sweet Treat ~
And sometimes for a treat (or when Nathan begs me to), I mix up a batch of gingerbread men dough for the kids to decorate. And then they can pretend to be the sly fox who gobbles them up.

IMG_20160531_212548 IMG_20160531_135750

 


If you enjoyed this post, you can check out last month’s roundup of activities and more of my other play and learning ideas. Stay tuned for next month’s roundup!

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »