Skip to main content

Two favourite simple supper dishes

So today marks the first day of the new school year for us folks in Western Australia. Nathan seemed to ease back into the whole school routine pretty easily without any drama or fuss.

I think the person who is stressing out the most about the whole thing is me.

Apart from the usual emotional hoo-haa over his first day… (side question: Is it really true that every single kindy child gets completely reshuffled into a new pre-primary class? Why does it seem like Nathan is the only child from his previous kindy class that’s been reshuffled into this particular pre-primary class?)… there’s also a new daily drill of lunch and recess food prep. Oh my goodness. What on earth do you pack in a kid’s lunchbox every day for five days straight?

I also prepare morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea everyday for all my family day care kids. It’s not easy juggling four individual food preferences and quirks, whilst maintaining a good balance of health, nutrition and variety.

By dinnertime, I’m barely making it to the last leg of kitchen duty. Sometimes I don’t even have any appetite left to eat anything myself after all that cooking and food prep.

On days like that, I usually wind up having a late supper on my own. Something calming, soothing and somewhat cleansing to melt away all the build up of toxins and stress.

Here are two current favourite supper dishes which are really simple to prepare but will knock your socks off—in very serene, rejuvenating way of course.

 

Silken tofu with spring onions and shallots

Ingredients
300g pack of silken tofu
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fried shallots
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil

Preparation
Remove packaging from tofu, drain liquid and tip it out onto a microwave safe dish. Heat in microwave for about 45-60 seconds until warmed through.  Drizzle over soy sauce and sesame oil. Top with spring onions and fried shallots. Serve immediately.

I enjoy slurping up this dish with some cold soba noodles, or just on it’s own like this. Clean and simple.

DSC08069

 

Papaya with Raspberries
(Adapted from Nigella Lawson)

Ingredients
1/2 papaya, seeds removed
125 punnet fresh raspberries
1/2 lime

Preparation
Place papaya on  dish. Fill cavity of papaya with raspberries. Squeeze lime over fruit. Serve immediately.

This dish feels so indulgent in a completely guilt-free way. I always feel so cleansed and detoxified after eating this.

DSC07960

 

>> More of my favourite recipes and cooking escapades here

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »