Skip to main content

Grapes sensory activity

What do you do when you have an overabundant harvest of grapes in your garden?

Despite my very apparent and sad neglect of our grapevine, year after year, it remains faithful.

Even after eating our abundant fair share, giving them away and letting many, many of them shrivel up or fall to the ground, there were still heaps and heaps of heavy bunches of these dark purple grapes left on our vine.

ourrapes

Earlier this week while I was working, one of my little girls noticed a generously sized bunch of grapes, hanging very low close to the ground, peeking out from under the leaves. She enquired about it and asked if she could try them. I generally do not offer these grapes to the kids on a regular basis as these grapes happen to have pips in them. So I warned her about the pips, but she was still keen to try them. So I said okay, as long as she was careful about the pips.

Without missing a beat, she plucked one off, popped them into her mouth, spat out the pip and ate it up. Then she turned to me and asked for more. So I plucked a small bunch for her, gave it a wash at the tap and handed it to her. She skipped off happily clutching her bunch of grapes, popping them into her mouth at intervals.

As expected, the rest of the gang, seeing their friend with the grapes came up to me clamouring for their share. I plucked a small bunch of each of them, washed them and they scurried off happily to eat their grapes. I watched them all like a hawk for any inkling of trouble with the pips. But they all instinctively seem to know how to handle the pips like pros.

And then they came back to me for more.

DSC08371A

In a moment of inpiration, I decided to turn this into an impromptu sensory activity. I rounded up all the kids to help gather bunches and bunches of grapes in buckets and baskets. We carried them over to the activity table. I set out several tubs of water and let the children just have free reign with the grapes and water.

DSC08364A

They swirled the grapes around in the water, plucked them off the stems, scooping and gathering them into various cups and containers. They pretended to cook 'grape soup', 'grape pies', 'grape cakes'. And along the way, popped a few in their mouths as they played.

(It reminded me a little of the way they played with the edible water beads activity I had set up previously).

DSC08362A

I gathered all the grapes leftover from the sensory play that were not crushed and squashed. The children helped me to pluck the remaining ones off the stems and we gave them a good wash. I decided to make some grape jam. The children were super excited about it. "We can make grape jam ice cream!" one of the girls suggested excitedly.

DSC08369A

After blending the grapes and sieving out the pulp, I let the children all have a try of the fresh grape juice. "Yummy!" they all grinned as they sipped the juice. We poured the juice into a large pot and I added some sugar and placed it on the stove to simmer away

DSC08372A

Freshly made grape jam to spread on our toast for afternoon tea. Plus a bit extra for each child to take home to share with their families. The perfect way to round off a very ‘grapey’ day.

DSC08374

 

>> More learning and play ideas here

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »