Skip to main content

Conversations with four year old Nathan

Before it all fades away, I just wanted to capture these recent golden conversations I’ve had with four-year-old Nathan.

[After dinner one evening…]

Nathan: Thank you for cooking the porridge for our dinner. It’s so yummy.
Mummy: You are welcome, Nathan. I’m glad you enjoy eating it.
Nathan: Next time when I grow bigger, I will cook porridge for you, mummy.
Mummy: Really? Wow! That would be wonderful.
Nathan: Yes! We can cook it together.

[Over the Christmas holidays, I often had my nose buried in my Christmas present from hubby. I also frequently had the movie’s soundtrack playing on my phone throughout the day….]

Nathan: What book are you reading, mummy? Can I see?
Mummy: It’s the Twilight series, Nathan.
Nathan: Twilight? I know about that book!
Mummy: You do? What is it about?
Nathan: It’s about… (bursts into singing) I love you for a thoo00ouuusand years… Love you for a tho00oouuusand years*
Mummy: (Blown away with laughter)
(*I had never made any direct reference between the book and the movie to Nathan. But he was somehow clever enough to make the connection himself)

[At the shops one morning, we met an elderly lady who had a cute little spaniel in her shopping cart…]

Nathan: Next time I want to get a pet dog.
Mummy: Oh… what would you do with your pet dog?
Nathan: I will play with him. Like popo’s (grandma’s) dog.
Mummy: So you’d like a dog like popo’s dog?
Nathan: I’d like a small, furry one like the one we saw in the shopping cart today.
Mummy: Yeah, that little white dog we saw today was very cute.
Nathan: I like white dogs. And Popo’s dog is brown.
Mummy: Yes he is. What colour dog would you like?
Nathan: (Pondering for a minute) PURPLE!!!

[While I was tucking Nathan into bed one evening…]

Nathan: Mummy, there are monsters under my bed.
Mummy: Are there? Let me have a look.
(I crouch down and look under the bed)
Mummy: I can’t see any monsters at all, Nathan.
Nathan: No, you can’t see them. They are inside the ground, under the floor.
Mummy: (Thinking for a moment) I know, I will put some special medicine on the floor for the monsters!
Nathan: (Perking up, deeply intrigued) Medicine? Can I see?
Mummy: Sure, I’ll show you (I make a big show of dipping my fingers into an imaginary bottle, and make several dabs and sweeps across the floor)
Nathan: Oooooh… what does the medicine taste like?
Mummy: It’s yucky medicine for the monsters.
Nathan: Noooooo!!!
Mummy: Why? What’s the matter?
Nathan: You mustn’t put yucky medicine. You must put sweet medicine. Here let me do it.
(Nathan hops out of bed and dabs his fingers all over the floor)
Mummy: Sweet medicine? But why?
Nathan: The yucky medicine will make the monsters angry. You must put sweet medicine to make them happy!
Mummy: Oh, I didn’t know that. That’s a much better idea. Good night, Nathan. Sweet dreams.
Nathan: Good night, mummy! I love you!
Mummy: I love you more!
Nathan: I love you MORE!
Mummy: I love you the MOST.

Comments

  1. He is such a sweet boy, Serene. Yohanan would choose a purple dog as well. =) Let me know when you find one. teehee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will! You look out for one too on your side of the world!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »