Skip to main content

Talking about Santa Claus

[I’m taking a little break this week from my series on Independent Play. If you’re jumping in for the first time on this topic, you can read parts one and two here and here. In the meantime I wanted to share this very special moment I recently had with my little boy…]

Three-year old Nathan has always been captivated by the legend of Santa Claus and his yearly pilgrimage bringing toys to children at Christmas. It really surprised me because we have never done the Santa Claus thing in our family.

One of Nathan’s all time favourite stories is ‘The Night Before Christmas’. He had picked out the book himself one day when we were at the library. He asked to read it repeatedly over the entire period while we had the book on loan. Since then, one his favourite topics we talk about at bedtime is Santa Claus.

Recently one night as I was tucking Nathan in bed and settling down for our bedtime chat, this was the very original conversation we had about the jolly old man…

NathanAndSanta
One-year-old Nathan meeting Santa for the first time

Nathan: I want Santa Claus to come to my house!

Me: Oh, why do you want him to come to our house?

Nathan: Coz’ I want Santa Claus to bring me a soldier, like the king’s men in Humpty Dumpty.

Me: The one with the tall black hats?

Nathan: Yes. And he needs to have a sword.

Me: Right…

Nathan: And I want Santa Claus to bring me a long, looooong fire truck!

Me: Don’t you already have a fire truck from po-po and gung-gung? (grandma and grandpa)

Nathan: That one is small. It needs to be bigger, like this (stretches hands out end to end)

Me: That’s a very long fire truck.

Nathan: Aaaaaaand I want Santa Claus to bring me some money.

Me: Money? What do you want to do with the money?

Nathan: So I can give it to the aunty at the shops and for some sweets! (very clever)

Me: I see…

Nathan: Do you have some money now? In your purse?

Me: Eeerrrmmm... I will have to check.

Nathan: Maybe I will ask Santa Claus to bring some money for you, mummy.

Me: That would be good.

Nathan: And can Santa Claus bring some tickets to daddy so we can go on the airplane?

Me: The airplane? To go where?

Nathan: To po-po and gung-gung’s house. (my eyes started to get misty at this point)

Me: Maybe… we’ll see.

Nathan: Okaaaay… Goodnight mummy! Kiss! Hug! See you in the morning.

It’s almost impossible resist such pure hope, conviction and belief. I’ve always been on the fence about the whole Santa Claus business. But I can now understand why some parents choose to bring this legendary character to life. It’s the closest thing we adults might ever get to getting a glimpse into fairyland… even if it’s just only the very fringes of it.

 

"Know you what it is to be a child?
It is to believe in love, to believe in loveliness, to believe in belief;
It is to be so little that the elves can reach to whisper in your ear,
It is to turn pumpkins into coaches, and mice into horses,
lowness into loftiness, and nothing into everything,
for each child has its fairy godmother in its soul"
(Francis Thomson)

 

P.S. Made me think about this old post on fairies and babies.

 

Linking up to Jess for IBOT

Comments

  1. My kids believe in Santa too, and im ok with it. Shern knows he needs to be good in order to get pressies from Santa. I always tell him he can only get presents twice (especially when he asks us to buy him things). Only in JUne on his bday or Dec for Christmas! ;)
    And he is soo happy every xmas eve, and even made cookies for Santa (from the books he read)!
    I really cant bear to tell him Santa's not real! I'll make Santa real for as long as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful conversation with your son. We do Santa in our house at Christmas but we also celebrate going to church and the real meaning behind Christmas. I guess I love the child likeness of the Santa tradition at Christmas. It reminds me of when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet story, thanks for sharing! And yes I love the mystical part of Santa, it's so nice for them to believe in magic because once they grow up life is boring/normal enough! Em - also visiting as part of #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. Its great to have a record of this little chat. I have many with my three year old that I know I should record. I juts love Santa also. As I wrote on another blog It is just a a beautiful story from a book that we have brought to life. I will never forget my boys face this year when he found his stocking at the end of the bed. Such belief!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »