Skip to main content

Like falling in love again

One wet morning last week, I was out in the backyard letting the kids have a quick romp before another rainy spell descended.

Grace was crawling happily about and reached out for a little purple blossom on one of my lavender bushes. I plucked a couple of flowers for her to hold and explore.

And I snapped this photo of her looking so gorgeous and pretty.

Mmmm... Lavender! #babygirl #lavender #prettybaby

A post shared by Serenely (@livingserenely) on

Ever since she came, I can never get over how beautiful she is and marvelling over her features and all the little details of her face. It leaves me quite breathless sometimes.

It’s almost like falling in love all over again.


The Girl I Used to Be

She came tonight as I sat alone,
The girl I used to be,
She gazed at me with her earnest eye,
And questioned reproachfully:

"Have you forgotten the many plans
And hopes I had for you?
The great career, the splendid fame,
The wonderful things to do?

Where is the mansion of stately height
With all its gardens rare?
The silken robes I dreamed for you
And the jewels in your hair?"

As she spoke, I was very sad,
For I wanted her pleased with me,
This slender girl from the shadowy past,
The girl I used to be.

So, gently rising, I took her hand,
And guided her up the stairs,
Where peacefully sleeping, my babies lay,
Innocent, sweet, and fair.

I told her, "These are my only gems,
And precious they are to me;
The silken robes is my motherhood,
Of costly simplicity.

My mansion of stately height is love,
And the only career I know
Is serving each day, in these sheltered walls,
The dear ones who come and go."

And as I spoke to my shadowy guest,
She smiled, through her tears, at me.
I saw the woman that I am now and
Pleased the girl I used to be.

(Rowena K. Lewis)

Linking up to
Twinkle in the Eye and
Little Drummer Boys

Comments

  1. She's gorgeous. Little humans are amazing aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serene, that's beautiful. She's such a little doll x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how excited their faces get when they see something new for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely caught a precious expression there! I love lavender, wise girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is adorable and so focused on the bloom.
    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is gorgeous. That poem is beautiful too xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, she is adorable! And that poem...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is perfect :) I feel exactly the same when I look at my baby girl; it's just like falling in love again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the poem, dear friend. And Grace is indeed beautiful and precious and rare.

    p/s Remember those days when I would call you up on the phone and request poem suggestions for my speeches? hahaha... I've always appreciated your love for words and beauty. Thank you for sharing, then and now. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »