Skip to main content

Hands

This morning while I was at work, as I was drumming my fingers on the table waiting for a data query to load, I happened to glance down at my hands. I haven’t looked at them carefully for a while.

CIMG4558

I discovered a few more rough spots, some scratches and a couple of burn marks. My nails were pared short in the most practical fashion. Some of the corners of my nails were looking a bit dry.

Overall my hands were still looking pretty alright. But it was definitely a different sight on the first day of my marriage…smooth, silky soft and nicely french-manicured.

2031-000-P-033.jpg (600×400)

Since that day, over the years, my hands have picked up signs of being well used. But I don’t mind the scars and the marks. Each one has a story. Each one is yet another sign that I have people to love and care for.

When I held Nathan’s chubby little hands today. I marvelled at their tiny perfection. So small, yet so complete. Each knuckle, Each digit, each fingernail so perfectly formed.

CIMG4560

These small hands have a lifetime of exploring, discovering, playing, learning to do. I hope they hold plenty of hugs, pats and handshakes. I hope they grow to be strong hands, helpful hands, loving hands.

What do you see when you look at hands?

…Hands learn more then minds do.
Hands learn to hold other hands.
How to grip pencils and mould poetry.
How to tickle piano keys,
Dribble basketballs
And grip the handles of a bicycle.
How to hold old people and touch babies…

…Some people read palms to tell you your future,
But I read hands to tell your past.
Each scar makes a story worth telling.

Comments

  1. :) good mama hands! whenever i look at my hands i reach for hand cream XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I reach for the hand cream, too. I even carry one in my handbag... But you are right, every one of those marks is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what beautiful inspiring words, Serene! good, strong hands indeed, that will lead your family through a wonderful life together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha... I do too with the handcream. But the handcream can't combat the burns and scratches. sigh. But yes, I'm happy with my mama hands after all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »