Skip to main content

Classic questions

I'm home!!! Back to the land where I first entered this world.

My flight was long and dull, and I'm presently nursing a cold, suffered a splitting headache the first night after I arrived, was woken up by the neighbour's rooster crowing at 4.30am... but I consider all these things minor inconveniences for this absolutely beautiful time of just being around the people I love.

I wanted to take a snapshot of something funny that indicated where this 'home' is and post a "Guess where I am?" header... but between all the eating, and talking, and meet and greet sessions with friends, family, acquantainces, I haven't had the chance to even pull my camera out at all.

I've only been here two days, but already I've been confronted by situations which I'm already finding somewhat challenging to navigate.

Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to present to you... the top three classic questions someone is sure to ask you after you turn 20:

Number One: When are you getting a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Number Two: When are you getting married?

Number Three: When are you having kids?

...All classic timeworn questions, but still great favourites... All meant in harmless jest by the asker put forward in (hopefully) affectionate and/or playful tones.

I've survived through the first two tests... but I'm still trying to make the grade with the third. Sorry did I say 'test'? Maybe a better word for it is 'race'. After the exam race, the degree race, the honours race, the job race, the money race, the house race, the wedding race... there's still the baby race, the children's exam race, the children's degree race... and the cycle goes on and on...

Sometimes these playful jabs, though unitentional, may cause hurt. But the answerer can never show this. If they decide to be frank and tell it out straight as it is, they are patted on the back and told not to stress out and let it happen in God's time etc. etc. etc. The other option is to return with an equally playful or lighthearted reply to mitigate any worry or concern from the asker, in which case it will possibly be met with gentle reminders not to take it for granted, they're not getting any younger, the need to take action etc. etc. etc.

If I'm not in an especially good mood, those comments can sometimes annoy the heck out of me, because my answers would simply be: "No, I'm not" and "Yes, I know".

I sometimes feel compelled to give a reason or explanation to the questioning looks... if not out loud, at least to myself... to find fault with myself... because by doing so, I'm almost trying to grasp desperately at a hope that the solution will come when I rectify the issue I'm at fault with.

It's sometimes easier if we knew the 'why', then we can deal with the 'how'... but what does one do when there are a thousand and one possibilities to the big 'why'?

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »