Skip to main content

Felt story time kits

One the staple items in every educator’s toolkit are felt board pictures for rhymes and story time.

There’s just something very captivating by the felt pictures. Perhaps it’s a sensory thing with the soft feel of the felt and the bright colours. The kids all get very excited whenever I pull out one of my felt picture kits for story time.

IMG_20180803_115319767

So I thought I would share a few of my favourite felt story time kits which are fairly simple to make.

Where is the Green SheepIMG_20180803_112259881

This kit is by far the most favourite among all my felt picture kits. The children all find the cute and colourful little sheep absolutely irresistable. The kit I put together also includes four fabric squares corresponding to each coloured sheep for colour matching games. The little felt sheep were so easy to cut out, I eventually added on traditional black and white sheep to sing other sheep nursery rhymes like ‘Baa Baa Black Sheep’, ‘Little Bo Peep’ and ‘Mary Had a Little Lamb’.

Go Away Big Green MonsterIMG_20180803_112504642

This was another very easy set to put together – mostly basic scissor work. This set goes with one of our favourite stories ‘Go Away Big Green Monster’ by Ed Emberly. The kids love taking turns putting on the various parts of the monster’s face as I read out the story.

Five Little DucksIMG_20180803_114823434_HDR

This is a classic rhyme set which I pull out almost every other week. All the ducklings are made from a uniform template and we use a little duck puppet for the mother duck which the kids all adore (puppets are another super secret power item to have in a story time kit).

Five Currant BunsIMG_20180803_113113991

A super simple set to make. Just five circles with a few embellishments added on for the sugar and cherry on top. I included some play money in the kit for the children to pretend to buy a currant bun as we count down the number of buns in the song.

Five Fat SausagesIMG_20180803_115020720

As you can see, this set has evolved a fair bit over time. My frying pan was initially just a simple outline cut out from blue felt. But version 2.0 has a bit more detail added on. The small sausages from brown felt have remained the same. I have a couple of other more ‘sophisticated’ sausages from another set I sometimes use together with the frying pan for other story-telling or teaching activities.

Five Little Speckled FrogsIMG_20180812_103648277

This set was given to me by a friend and is another favourite with the kids because they just adore the cute little green felt frogs. I also love the little lines and details on the felt log.

Five Cheeky MonkeysIMG_20180803_112912020

This is another set given by a friend. There’s quite a bit more detail on the pieces in this set, but I thought I’d share it since it’s another big favourite with the kids. We use this to sing either ‘Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed’ or ‘Five Cheeky Monkeys Swinging on a Tree’.


Hope you enjoyed this little peek into some of the resources I use in my program. Feel free to check out some of our other activities and  play and learning ideas.

More information about my family day care >>here<<

This is an exciting new venture I am embarking on to set up my own family day care. Throughout this journey, I will be sharing about this project, my home set up, craft and activity ideas and other related bits and pieces. Through this, I hope to support and connect with other fellow day care educators and also perhaps provide a little more awareness and insight for parents (and parents-to-be) on the set up and running of a family day care. You can follow along my updates on my blog under the family day care tag.

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »