Skip to main content

Sunshine and hurricane

It’s about time to turn back the spotlight on my baby girl.
I just realised I have only a couple of months left before she shoots off eagerly to school next year.

IMG_20170812_112045_573

Of course I’ll still have her home with me on her non-kindy days, but it somehow feels like the beginning of the end of another era. A beginning to yet another stage of that continued striving for independence out of my arms.

For now, her strings, though they are beginning to stretch out, are still knotted tightly to mine.

Here are a few funny anecdotes and conversations we’ve had lately…

Grace had been reprimanded (quite mildly actually) by her daddy one afternoon for  some infraction. She’s an expert at turning on instant waterworks in cases like this. Immediately afterwards she hopped up to me and asked sweetly “Mummy, please can I have a lolly to sweeten my tears?”.

IMG_20171122_195530_415

One night during one of our usual bedtime talks, Grace was trying to string our talk out for as long as possible. I usually set a quota of how many topics they can each talk about that evening (otherwise we’d probably be up all night). And this one night Grace surreptitiously attempted to extend her quota as she moved on to her next topic of conversation: “Okay mummy, my next talking is stuck to my first talking…”

IMG_20170803_102952789

She loves carrots and particularly enjoys eating them raw. And she can recite the names of all the Marvel Avengers characters. She comes up with her own unique and funny word tenses like “I brang my teddy to my room just now…”. She also has this adorable way of sticking a her tongue out just a wee bit when she’s concentrating hard on something. And oh, her eyes still have this uncanny way of making your heart skip a beat each time she looks right into yours.

IMG_20171128_234807_176

She seriously dislikes being told what to do or having her mistakes brought to attention. One morning as we were all heading out the door over to the car, Nathan turned to Grace to remind her to shut the door behind her. She yelled back a wildly disproportionate response, “DON’T TELL ME!!! I ALREADY KNOW!!!”

IMG_20171030_140730_761

And one night as we were driving home, Grace spotted the new moon through the car window…
“Look Nathan, I can see a banana moon!”
“Yes I see it, but actually it’s called a crescent moon.”

Disgruntled silence.
“Well I want call it a banana moon, Nathan.”
“Okay, it’s up to you, but I’m just telling you that it’s actually called a crescent moon.”
“I KNOW OKAY!!! BUT I WILL CALL IT A BANANA MOON!!!”

It’s a good thing her big brother’s patience and composure runs deep. And in her heart of hearts, she knows it, and is unswervingly devoted to him

“Grace, who is your favourite boy in the whole world?” I asked her one evening as we were getting ready for bath time.
“Erm… maybe Prince Eric from Little Mermaid?”
“I mean a real boy.”
“OooooooOh… well of course it’s Nathan, mummy. You KNOW!”

IMG_20171128_235425_709

And that’s my girl…
“Sunshine mixed with a bit of hurricane”

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »