Skip to main content

Monthly play roundup: September

Hooray! Spring is finally here. Really loving the warmer and sunnier days we’ve been enjoying. Time to get busy in the garden with a mega backyard project we have in the works. But I’ll save that story for another time. For now, here are some snapshots of some of our activities last month…


For the Super Dads
We kicked off the month of September with Father’s Day activities. This year, we treated the dads to a scrumptious chocolate bar. We dressed the bars up in superhero outfits in tribute to all the fantastic superdads in our group. I used some of the printouts for this activity from here.

IMG_20171002_153931_835


‘B’ for Bee
We’ve been spotting a lot more bees buzzing around these days (I suppose that’s expected with the increasing number of flowers popping up in everyone’s gardens). A favourite book we’ve been reading this month is ‘The Bumblebear’ by Nadia Shireen. We practiced writing the letter ‘B’, made cute little egg carton bumblebees, and talked about other insects and bugs in the garden.

IMG_20171002_153338_394


The Enormous Turnip
We’ve been talking a lot about fruits and vegetables lately. Maybe it’s a spring thing. Or maybe it was this book which we borrowed from the library last month. Anyway, it turns out that none of my kids had tasted a turnip before (or if they had, they couldn’t remember). We read the classic Ladybird book story of ‘The Enormous’ turnip and played out the story with a real turnip I had picked up and paper characters from this printable. I cut thin slices of fresh turnip to munch at morning tea which the children all declared tasted ‘quite nice’. Afterwards we made our own story puppets from the same printable I used earlier to practice story sequencing and story telling skills.

IMG_20171002_153123_847


Puzzles and Shapes
One of our featured themes this month was about shapes and puzzles. I had a lot of fun preparing the various activities for this. I made a Tetris-like puzzle using Lego. I set up a Tangram activity tray with our Tangram puzzle set and these Tangram challenge cards. I set up a magnetic pattern block play invitation using this printable on magnetic A4 sheets and these pattern block picture cards.

IMG_20171002_152649_684


Here’s a closer look at the Lego puzzles I made (scroll to last image for video)


Mini Beef Pot Pies
My favourite cooking activity and dish this month were this mini beef pot pies. I don’t have a particular recipe. Basically I just whipped up a basic minced beef filling. And then I set out a few sheets of shortcut pastry for the children to cut out shapes from to decorate their individual mini beef pot pies in ramekins (or you can use teacups). Pop everything into the oven for 15 minutes and lunch is served!

IMG_20171002_152954_745


DIY sponge cakes and sandwiches
Something cute I’ve added to our home corner and play kitchen area are these little cakes and ham & cheese sandwiches made from sponges and felt. The sponges are just regular kitchen sponges cut out in bread shapes for the sandwiches and triangle shapes for the cakes. I cut out the ‘cream’ for the cakes from white felt and added a pom-pom as a decorative cherry topping. The sandwich fillings were pink felt for the ham, yellow for cheese and green for the lettuce.

IMG_20171002_234348_738



If you enjoyed this post, you can check out  last month’s roundup of activities and more of my other play and learning ideas. Stay tuned for next month’s roundup!

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »