Skip to main content

A new addition to our bedtime routine

IMG_20160903_205736

After a final blast of wet weather last month, I think it’s quite safe to say that spring has finally sprung.

We celebrated the new season the first weekend with a relaxed, chilled-out family BBQ at King’s Park. After we had our fill of sausages, we took a slow, leisurely stroll along the familiar stretch of the park looking down on the iconic view of Perth city. I think it was probably the first time we were looking down on that iconic view together as a family. We pointed out various landmarks and marveled over the beauty of our home city together. It felt really special sharing that moment as a family.

I came across this quote which really sums up everything I felt so well about that moment…

A mother discovers with great delight that one does not love one’s children just because
they are one’s children; But because of the friendship formed while raising them.”

Gabriel GarcĂ­­a MĂ¡rquez
.

We recently finished reading both books in Enid Blyton’s ‘The Wishing Chair’ series. We had such a blast reading them together every night. Nathan’s favourite chapter was the one about Magician Greatheart’s party. If you haven’t read these books in a while, read them again! I had the best fun revisiting all the old familiar stories and characters, especially since I was revisiting them through the eyes of my own children.

I also just started trying out this new thing with Nathan and Grace at bedtime. Instead of our usual bedtime story book, I just pull out a “Did I ever tell you the story about…” from my childhood. And they absolutely love it. Nathan is especially hooked and keeps clamouring for more. “Another one, mummy! Tell me another story about when you were a little girl! PLEEEEEASE!!!”. At bedtime earlier this evening, I told them my famous ‘Bird Story’. He was literally hanging on the edge of his seat listening to every word. And at the end of the story, he had such strong feelings of anger toward my dog Snowball for hurting the bird that he had trouble calming down.

I asked Nathan why he loved hearing these stories of when I was a little girl so much. “Because I’ve never heard these stories before, and I like to know what you were like last time when you were little and what you did and how you were like.”

And then I remembered how I too loved hearing stories like that from my own parents about their childhood. I gather each memory they shared like precious pearls because I knew that these stories are the only link I have to another time and place in history beyond my own tiny imprint on this vast, immense fabric of time.

I remember remarking to my mum one time when I was in my teens “I wonder if I had known you when you were in school or university, would we have been friends?”. It was just one of those random rhetorical questions. I’d like to think we would have been.

I thought about if Nathan were to ask me the same question today. I believe my answer would be a definite and positive “Yes”. Because I’m so loving the person he is right now and is growing into.

How strange and wonderful a thing it is to be best friends with your child.

Though if you think about it, it does make perfect sense after all.

Comments

  1. Ah, now I know why Nathan asked that chapter be read every now and then. We had fun imagining all the tasty treats the great magician would conjur for us. Yum, yum.....
    On another note, yes , I whine we would be great friends were we in the same era as you are kind and smart and I gravitate towards such personally. ;-) M

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »