Skip to main content

DIY Rainbow coloured play muslins

One of the key things on my wish list of play resources for my family day care was a full set of coloured play silks.

They are essentially a fancy version of basic coloured scarves in the dress up box. But there was something nice about having a uniform set of bright solid coloured fabrics for the children to explore and play with.

I had shopped around online for various options, and also checked out the option of buying some plain white silk squares and dyeing them myself.

Then one day as I was clearing out Grace’s closet, I came across my stash of flat cotton muslins which I had used some time back on her when she was a little baby. The size was perfect was perfect for a lot of versatile play. The drape and flowiness was not quite the same as silk, but not too bad.

So after some research and chatting with a few DIY-savvy friends, I picked up three packs of Dylon fabric dye, one in each of the primary colours. And on one bright, sunny morning, I gave the muslins a good, thorough wash and got to work transforming the plain white squares of cotton into these rainbow hues…

DSC06095DSC06099DSC06103DSC06104DSC06090

 

We’ve been having heaps of fun playing all sorts of games like peek-a-boo, Jack-in-the-box, dancing, dress-up play and superheroes with these play muslins. There is so much scope for imagination in them. I’m so pleased with these new additions in our play area.

playmuslin3

 

These play muslins would be a fairly simple and more economical option to play silks. And if you have been toying with the idea of buying or making your own play silks, this might a possible alternative to consider.

I don’t really have a step-by-step tutorial for these play muslins, but I thought I’d compile a few tips and pointers on how to get started:

  • You can find these muslin cotton squares in most baby sections of large departmental stores in Malaysia and Singapore. In Australia they might be known as Gerber or birdseye weave flat nappies. I’ve come across them before at a couple of baby specialty stores like Babyroad and Baby Bunting. But you can easily also find them online at very cheap prices.
  • Choose a fabric dye that is suitable for the type of fabric you are using. In the case of these muslin squares, cotton. I used Dylon and I believe Rit dyes would also work as well. I’ve seen some DIY play silks tutorials which use Kool-aid or food colouring, but I don’t think these options would be suitable for dyeing cotton fabrics.
  • Follow the instructions on the selected fabric dye closely, including weighing the fabric and using the correct proportions of water to the amount of dye.
  • FYI, here are the Dylon shades I used for my project: Tulip Red, Bahamas Blue, Sunflower Yellow. I got the green shade from mixing equal parts of Bahamas Blue and Sunflower Yellow together.
  • If you plan to use primary colours to mix and make other colours, mix the dye with the correct proportion of water first. Ensure everything is properly diluted, then measure out the appropriate proportions of each coloured water into a separate pot.
  • The amount of leftover coloured water after dyeing the fabric might tempt you to dump in other fabrics and materials to soak up the remaining dye. There is no harm in this, but bear in mind that the intensity of colour will vary using the leftover water. I did this with the leftover red water with a couple of extra muslins squares as I figured red would be a very popular colour. You can see that two of the reds in the pictures above look a little more faded and a little uneven in colour compared to the other two. I didn’t really mind as these were just extra muslins. But if you’re planning to throw in a shirt or something to use up the colour, just bear this in mind.

 

P.S. Previous additions to our collection of loose parts for imaginative and free play.

Comments

  1. Kudos, so professionally done~! So clever to re-purpose the muslin, I would think this is better (durable) than silk;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pc! Using pre-packaged fabric dyes make it quite easy. And yes, it was a big lightbulb moment to use the muslins. I stopped using them with Grace some time back and they have been tucked away for ages. I don't think I'd be using them again as diapers, so its terrific that I can cotninue to get more life out of them. They are indeed so durable!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »