Skip to main content

The easiest deep pan pizza

One of the ‘headaches’ I sometimes encounter in running a family day care, is managing a wide variety of food preferences (and aversions) among all the kids each day. Every single child comes with their own unique quirks. Some chomp down anything and everything laid before them. Some pick through their meal painfully. Some love all sorts of fruits and veges. Some refuse to touch anything with a tinge of green in it.

I am usually pretty firm about giving any new foods a taste or try before deciding not to finish it, as I do with my own children. But to keep meal times to a low-drama activity, I have learnt to modify my expectations and focus mostly on preparing healthy meals that are generally crowd-pleasing. I do try to introduce something new and different every now and then, but I keep that to a minimum. Kids thrive on enjoying the same old favourites on a regular basis anyway.

One regular crowd-pleaser that is always a big hit with everyone is: The good old classic PIZZA.

Sometimes I prepare a base from scratch using my bread maker to mix the ingredients together beforehand. And sometimes I keep a stash of mini pizza bases or flatbreads in the freezer to load up with some toppings.

But I recently came across this recipe for deep pan pizza which I consider to be one of the most genius ideas I have ever seen.

Only four basic ingredients for the base, which is whipped up in literally 2 minutes. It is so easy and so good that I simply have to share it with you.
.

Easy deep pan pizza
(Adapted from 4 Ingredients One Pot One Bowl)

DSC05880

Ingredients
1 cup self-raising flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup of water
A good pinch of salt
4 tbsn passata/pizza sauce
Toppings of your choice (cheese, pepperoni, ham, tomatoes, zucchini etc.)

Method
Grease a non-stick frying pan with some olive oil. Then mix together flour, olive oil, salt and water to form a wet sticky dough. Spoon the passata/pizza sauce over the dough and spread. Then add your favourite toppings.

Cover pan with a lid, then set on the stove to cook on a medium heat for ten minutes. Carefully slide the pizza out onto a board. Allow pizza to sit for two minutes before slicing into wedges to serve.

(Optional Step: Preheat the oven/grill, then after cooking the pizza on the stove, remove the lid and slide under the grill for 5 minutes to lightly brown cheese and crisp up toppings)'

CookingPizzaCollage

It’s a terrific activity to let the kids get involved in. I prepare the base and toppings before hand, get everyone’s hands washed and aprons on. Then just let them all dive in. They can sometimes go a little overboard with the toppings, but they will most likely gobble everything down happily knowing they made it themselves..

I was initially a little dubious over the dough mixture on how wet and sticky it was and whether everything would cook through properly. But I followed through the steps and was pleasantly surprised by the results.

DSC05872DSC05874DSC05875DSC05876DSC05877

This is not a regular style pizza, so the texture of the pizza will turn out on the rather steamy-soft side. If you don’t like the idea of this, just go easy on the toppings and don’t overload the pizza with too much ingredients.

>> More of my favourite yummy food and recipes

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »