Skip to main content

“Write your own book” activity for children

A few weeks back,  I wrote about my son the doodler. Since then, his drawings have been evolving and getting more and more varied and sophisticated. He has been using up sheets and sheets of paper (and a few walls) at a rapid pace, faster than I could keep up with.

image

Then I stumbled across this awesome idea from Katie at A Little Pinch of Perfect to get the kids to write a story book. It was the perfect way to build on his interest in drawing and doodling. So one afternoon, I suggested to Nathan that we write a story for daddy. He jumped at the idea right away.

Here’s an outline of how we did this activity…

Materials
1 sheet of coloured A4 paper
2-3 sheets of plain white A4 paper
Pens, pencils, markers/textas for drawing

DSC05662

Assembling the booklets
Stack the sheets of the white A4 paper together with the sheet of coloured paper on top. Fold it in half, and staple the edges together to form a little booklet.

DSC05663

[I’ve actually made several ‘doodle books’ using this method for Nathan to draw and scribble in. I date each booklet (just a simple note on the month and year) as they get used up - I think would be interesting to look back on them down the track and see how his doodles and drawings have evolved and developed].

DSC05660

The writing and illustrating process
After the booklet was put together, Nathan got to work on the illustrations on his own.

I didn’t try to offer too much prompting but just let him have free reign with his ideas and imagination. The only thing I did during the illustration process was to ask if he had finished drawing on a page before prompting “Okay, let’s turn the page to draw the next picture”.

DSC05676

After he had finished drawing on each page, we went through the book together and Nathan explained what each drawing was about. I then wrote down his narration and description on each page.

DSC05678

Finally we recorded the title and author of the story on the front cover. I also noted down the date down at the bottom corner for remembrance.

image

Some tips on the story writing activity…

  • Try not to offer too many instructions while your child is drawing and illustrating the story but allow them as much creative freedom as possible.
  • The story might end up somewhat disjointed (especially with younger children) but I think that’s okay. My son didn’t mind at all and absolutely loved his story.
  • Don’t feel compelled to extract out a full narration of each drawing from your child. Even a simple labelling of each object drawn is terrific.
  • For younger children, start with just a very small number of pages to begin with. I started with three sheets of A4 but then reduced it to two which was more than enough to make a 5-8 page book (depending on whether your child draws on both sides of each page).
  • Read the story together with your child afterwards. They will definitely feel proud of their work. I also placed their book on the bookshelf along with all the other books so they know for certain that their book is a full-fledged book.

 

P.S. Check out our variation of this activity: designing our own ‘lift the flap’ book.

 

Linking up to Jess for IBOT

Comments

  1. LOVE this. Will be doing with my little one. Over and over again, I'd imagine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool idea, I did it a bit with my eldest and a little with the second. Brilliant reminder to do it more often with the third ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, wish I'd known about it when my kids were little. One to file away in my memory for when I have grandkids ;-) !

    Visiting today from #teamIBOT xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited reading this Serene!! My little man would love it also. We are going through a phase of making up stories by prompting each other. This would be perfect. Thank you !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea, Serene. I've always wanted to create our own book with Vera, and I love how this is simple enough for us to get started!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »