Skip to main content

Why I decided to start my own family day care

[So after yesterday’s post on the registration process for setting up a family day care, I thought I’d also share on the how and why I came to the decision to embark on this venture…]

Since the arrival of my first baby, I discovered that my priorities in relation to work and career had changed dramatically. I wanted to be around my children as much as possible and be the main person looking after them and caring for their needs.image

After my maternity leave ended, I went back to work on a part time basis. It was a great arrangement that allowed me to balance my time between career and motherhood. However in the long term, I knew it would be difficult to progress forward professionally working on a part-time basis.

So I started thinking about what I really wanted and the direction I truly wanted to head toward.

What I really wanted was to BE in my children’s life. I wanted to be the primary person guiding their learning and helping to shape their values and character, especially in their early formative years.

Somehow it didn’t sit right with me that if I went back to work full time, they would be looked after by someone else, while I worked at the office all day.

I’m aware that many people may not have a choice in this area.

But what if I had a choice?

What would I choose?

I would choose to be my children’s first and primary teacher.

I would choose to be around them as much as I can.

I would choose not to miss witnessing them play and learn every day.

DSC04530

So I started thinking seriously about my options for being able to stay at home with my children, especially from a financial perspective.

The idea for starting a family day care came about when my son first started going to a family day care in our neighbourhood.

One evening as I was unpacking Nathan’s day care bag and flipping through the day’s notes from our carer. I started thinking about how much I loved the family day care he goes to and how terrific his carer is.

I admired the fact that our educator was able to be at home with her own kids and also have her own little business running her own a family day care.

Then I had an epiphany. Family day care. This seemed like something I could do.

Of course there were a lot of pros and cons to consider. But once I started thinking about it, I knew this was something I wanted to do.

So here I am now.

Right now, I am just at the early stages of this journey. I’ve just recently completed my registration process and am now putting various finishing touches to our home set up, ready to receive my first client.

With my feet on this new path, I am looking ahead in anticipation of the exciting new things to come.

Linking up to Jess @ IBOT

 

This is an exciting new venture I am embarking on to set up my own family day care. Throughout this journey, I will be sharing about this project, the application process, what I’ll be learning from the training courses, my home set up, craft and activity ideas and other related bits and pieces. Through this, I hope to support and connect with other fellow day care educators and also perhaps provide a little more awareness and insight for parents (and parents-to-be) on the set up and running of a family day care. You can follow along my updates on my blog under the family day care tag.

Comments

  1. How exciting! As a primary school teacher I can say that it is the most amazing feeling to watch children learn and grow! Best wishes for what I'm sure will be an amazing journey for you and your family! xx Lucy from Bake Play Smile #TeamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy! I hope I never lose this amazing feeling, and even on the worst days, try to remember why I chose to do this in the first place :)

      Delete
  2. I looked into doing this seriously for these same reasons when I had two young children. I understand that longing to be with them all day and not wanting to miss anything. Like you, I had the ability to remain at home which I still am. I ended up having another baby, followed by 3 more after that (6 total)! My plans for day care evaporated as I had created my own family day care in the end!
    Go for it! I think it will be a sensational way to be around your own kids while enriching their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! You're certainly all set with your own home-grown family daycare, Jody. You're probably just as experienced as any family day care handling 6 kids on your own every day.

      Delete
  3. Well done on taking the plunge, wishing you all the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad it is all going ahead smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann. So far, so good from a setting up point of view. Things might take a dramatic turn once I have actual kids under my care. So we'll see!

      Delete
  5. All the best with your new adventure, now that you've got the major bit of paperwork out of the way, it should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Now should come the fun part. But before that, the nerve wrecking part of waiting for clients.

      Delete
  6. It's fantastic that you are able to embark on this! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! Appreciate the congratulatory note.

      Delete
  7. I love how you went with your gut and thought outside the box to achieve what you wanted. Your children will be lucky to have you as their carer and teacher. I hope it continues to go smoothly for you Serene :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Druime. And I hope I will be a good carer and teacher to the kids... I can only do my best :)

      Delete
  8. Glad to see things are progressing for your business, won't be long until your dream is realised :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily, I'm reaching for that dream as best as I can. There might be some nightmarish moments, but I believe it's what my heart really wants.

      Delete
  9. I would love to be able to do this, but not sure I would want the responsibility of looking after other peopls children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toni, I agree it is a heavy responsibility... hence the grueling process they put us through, vetting us and training us. Part of me still thinks I am crazy for doing this, but so far that part seems to be settling down (for good, I hope!) ^_^

      Delete
  10. What a fantastic way to be around your kids, run a business and support others who want the small local childcare - best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa. Yup, I'm glad I found this option which enabled me to do all that. Great of you to pop in so say hi! ^_^

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »