Skip to main content

The first story

DSC01846
Family photos hung up in my mother’s childhood home

[Some minor edits and notes added following my mum’s correction on a couple of points]

The earliest ‘true story’ I remember my mother telling me was one about her grandfather (my great-grandfather) in World War II. It is actually not a very happy story, but the reality and rawness of the story is one that that burns into your memory so you never forget it.

My mother grew up in Kampung Sri Gading, near the town of Batu Pahat in Johor, Malaysia. The house she lived in, originally built by my great-grandfather, has housed four generations of families.

The story I remember is actually about my mother’s maternal grandfather…

With the onset of World War II came the Japanese Soldiers. History remembers them as cruel and inhuman persecutors of the local people in Malaya.

They arrived one day at the doorstep of my great-grandfather’s house. I don’t remember what it was they were after. Money. Gold. Information. Women. Submission… It didn’t matter. Whatever they wanted, somehow my great-grandfather could not or would not give it to them.

And so they tortured him.

This is the part of the story I most vividly remember. How they tortured him.

They took my great-grandfather and forced him to drink water. When he could not hold anymore, they forced more down his throat. More and more until his stomach was bulged up like a balloon.

Then they laid him down and stepped on his stomach, forcing him to vomit the water back out again.

They did it again. And again. And again. How many times? I don’t know.

Did they get what they wanted in the end? I don’t know either.

Amazingly my great-grandfather survived to tell the tale. Just one of the many horror stories of war.

I have remembered the story ever since the first time I heard it. And when I read the bald facts of that time in history printed in my school text book. I read between the lines. History is real. About real places and real people and real stories.

 

To take a deeper step into the history pages, you can read my mum’s account of the story

~~~

This is the first instalment of my series on

image

Comments

  1. Yes, my grandmother used to tell me lots of stories too. Scared me very much as.a kid. Still blows my mind that people could be so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you've got 2 different accounts mixed up. One account is paternal grandfather and the other is maternal grandfather. Nevertheless it's good you remembered. i shall endeavor to set the records straight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »