Skip to main content

5 ways to calm down a toddler

DSC02310So this week featured a mini-drama with the toddler which led to the historic moment of our very first time-out chair session.

Despite the tears (both his and mine) I believe the ‘chair’ made its point. Since that episode, the time-out chair has remained unoccupied and the undesirable behaviour has not been repeated.

Hail the mighty power of the chair!

Saying that, I do think i is important though, to distinguish between actual wrongful behaviour or actions versus circumstances where a child is simply finding it challenging to cope with.

Some examples of these situations could include:

  • Overtiredness or lack of sleep
  • Hunger or low blood sugar
  • Feeling overwhelmed in a strange or new situation
  • A boo-boo or hurt
  • Frustration at not being able to explain their need

In situations like this, I believe it’s best to first try and address the root issue, exercise a little more tenderness and empathy and try to do something to take the edge off.

 

Here are 5 things I’ve found to be effective in helping to bring calm to such difficult moments:

 

1. Get down to their level
Kneeling or lying down next to them, and whispering or speaking softly

 

2. A tight hug
Give a really big, firm, warm, all encompassing hug and often you’ll soon feel those little muscles relax and quiet down
DSC00793[7]

 

3. Bubbles
Need I say more?
DSC02164

 

4. Milk
Sometimes something for the tummy is just what they need
DSC013553

 

5. Lavender and rosemary calming spray
I found the idea here and really like it – so far my toddler has been more interested in the spray bottle rather than the actual effect of the spray itself… but I suppose it did sort of work as a distraction in that way
[DSC01502%2520-%2520B%255B9%255D.jpg]

P.S. Also linking up to this great post from the Mommy Cafe on Surprising Insights About Tantrums

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »