Skip to main content

Hakka abacus beads from scratch

Inspired by my mother, I decided to take on the challenge of pulling the classic Hakka abacus beads dish from scratch.

This is my version of the recipe (adapted from My Kitchen Snippets)

To make the dough for the abacus beads:

450 grams taro/yam, cleaned, peeled and chopped
170 grams tapioca starch
½ teaspoon salt

Steam taro until soft (about 20 minutes) and mash while still hot. Mix in tapioca starch and salt. Allow mixture to cool slightly then knead to form a soft dough.DSC01980

Adjust consistency by adding a little water if it’s too dry or more tapioca starch if it’s too wet/sticky.

Pinch off marble sized pieces of the dough, roll into small balls, then press gently in the middle to make a small indentation.

Bring a pot of water to boil, then drop in beads one by one. The beads will rise to the surface once they are cooked. Removed them with a slotted spoon and set aside.

For the stir-fry, the ingredients can be varied to your preference, but here is a general guide on what you can include:

DSC01981

2 tbsp oil
2 shallots – thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic – chopped
1 chicken breast – diced
1 small carrot – diced finely
4-6 Chinese mushrooms – soaked until soft and sliced thinly
2 pieces of dried wood ears – soaked and thinly sliced
¼ cup dried shrimp – soaked and pounded lightly
Some spring onions – chopped finely for garnishing
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
3 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
¼ cup water
½ tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in wok/frying pan and stir-fry shallots and garlic for a few seconds. Add chicken, mushrooms, dried wood ears and dried shrimp and fry for a few minutes until meat is cooked. Add abacus beads and sauces/seasoning and fry everything together. Dish out and garnish with spring onions.

DSC01983

P.S. More of my other recipes posted here

Comments

  1. this is my favourite dish !! or one of :)
    eu lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I must try yours to see if mine lives up to your standards! :) maybe pick up tips on how I can improve it further

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I must try this one day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »