Skip to main content

The Avengers (Surprise) Initiative

Hubs has known me for nearly one third of his life and been married to me for almost a quarter of his life.

Throughout our years together, I’ve always enjoyed making a big deal over his birthday… not necessarily with big crowds and fanfare, but at least something significant between the two of us.

I had left a few years pass by without planning anything out of the ordinary (of course still celebrate with a special dinner or outing together). But this year I decided I wanted to organise another memorable birthday surprise.

I was cracking my head for ideas when out of the blue, I picked up a remark that made me realise how much hubs was raring to go and see the new Avengers movie.

Our church was planning a big movie screening of the film as an outreach event. I was about to cross that event off our list since I didn’t think we'd want to bother finding a babysitter for Nathan and all. But hubby mentioned casually that maybe he could go watch it himself if I didn’t mind. So that got me thinking.

This was what I did…

I told hubs we could go watch the movie with the church together. Our good friends, Jamie and Edmund, had already offered to babysit so we had that department covered.

image
Our friends and collaborators: Jamie and Edmund and their little Sophie

Secretly, I had purchased a set of La Premiere luxury cinema tickets at the same screening time as the church’s event. I even enlisted the help of my friend Jamie to buy the tickets to avoid leaving a paper trail with our credit card (yes, I think of everything!)

DSC01496

On D-day, everything proceeded like any normal outing; we got Nathan ready, drove to Jamie and Edmund’s to drop Nathan off for his play date with Sophie and headed to the cinema. I asked hubs to park the car while I quickly rushed in to pick up the La Premiere tickets from the box office.

As we walked toward the cinema entrance, I subtly steered him toward the La Premiere section. At the entrance he stopped and look confusedly at me. I then whipped out the tickets and handed them to him with a big smile and declared “Happy Birthday, honey!

A big grin appeared on his face as it started to dawn on him what was going on. We went on upstairs to the La Premiere lounge to enjoy our free flow popcorn and drinks.

DSC01479

We had a terrific time and it was really nice having a real one-on-one pak-tor session which we haven’t had since last August. I could tell he was really pleased although he kept remarking how sneaky I was planning this whole thing. Big credit to our friends Jamie and Edmund, couldn’t have done it without them!

Happy birth-month, hon! *muaks*

Comments

  1. aww~ ((warm & fuzzy
    happy birthday to cousin-in-law!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »