Skip to main content

Gearing up for the solids plunge

Just the past couple of nights, Nathan has been suddenly waking up an hour after he goes down for the night. This was unusual as he has been sleeping through the night from 7pm till 7am the next morning for some time now.

We’ve been cracking our heads trying to figure out what’s wrong… too hot? too cold? teething? sick? hungry? We run through the whole list trying everything we can think of to help him settle back down again.

Perhaps he just wants to be held or had a nightmare… so eventually after running through everything, we just hold him and rock him gently until he’s calmed down enough to go back to sleep.

I posted an anecdote about this on fb and got a huge response… the majority of the respondents suggested that it could be a sign that he’s ready for solids.

I’m not wanting to rush him into solids but if it really is the reason why he’s been waking up, I don’t want to hold him back from it if he needs it. So I’ve started making some preparations to gear up for the plunge.

First off, I did some quick research on baby food recipes and decided it would be convenient to have some rice cereal on hand. It was as simple as blitzing a handful of rice in the food processor to a fine powder (which I will cook in boiling water and add a bit of breastmilk).

CIMG4381

I also plan to pick up some sweet potatoes when we’re out at the shops this weekend. I like the idea of sweet potatoes as it’s low allergen, super nutritious and very yummy! (note: I love sweet potatoes).

Another thing I’ve been doing is letting Nathan get acquainted with some of his future eating utensils. He’s going to have plenty of adventures with them so best to get friendly with each other early on.

So far I’ve introduced him to the sippy cup (it’s empty)…

CIMG4388

…As well as the spoon (which he really took a big shine to)

CIMG4384

CIMG4385

CIMG4386

We’ll likely just do a little dip into this first… just test the waters a little before we take the full plunge. Will keep you guys posted!

Comments

  1. Not that my boys are the "standard" or the "norm", but the process can be slooooooow. In the beginning, the exercise is just to teach them to swallow and get use to the texture.

    Yohanan is one year old and I still consider him to be fully breast-fed, as he is only now beginning to enjoy eating solid food. Emeth was the same way. Y skipped the entire pureed food stage also because his skin was reacting quite badly to the excrement the next day.

    It is a comfort, and such a gift, to know that mommy's milk contains all the nutrients that they need for such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p/s i wrote that entire comment just to encourage you *IN CASE* things are not progressing very quickly, know that my boys are likely even slower. and they are healthy, growing, and well-adjusted children. =) always God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the tip to help manage my expectations. we'll take it one teaspoonful at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »