Skip to main content

The battle of the bottle

In my last post, I mentioned hubs’ talent with funny faces. I’m afraid it’s what we’ve had to resort to during those bottle feeding battles. I mentioned in my previous Mummy the Cow post that Nathan very much struggled with taking milk from the bottle… ANY bottle it seems, as we’ve tried several kinds.

I had mentioned to some friends that I got him to drink from the bottle a couple of times along the way around the 2-month period which went pretty smoothly. But suddenly at around 3 months, he seemed to just decide that he didn’t like it. I started to blame myself saying I should have used the bottle more regularly with him. But the child health nurse said it probably would have made little difference – sometimes babies just decide at some point they don’t like something even if they were okay with it all along before.

Part of me felt pleased to know that little Nate was so loyal to me as his source of food and comfort. But the urgency to get him used to the bottle became more pressing as I was soon returning to work part-time on a flexi-hour basis and needed to pop into the office for meetings a couple of hours a week. So began the parent versus baby battle of bottle.

We tried all sorts of tricks, holding him in nursing position (he hated that), sitting in his rocker, sitting in our lap… but all the time he just kept fighting the bottle – turning his head away, pushing the nipple out with his tongue, and just wailing at the top of his lungs, letting the milk just dribble everywhere. We would then do all we can to soothe him – hubby was especially good at the funny faces that would immediately turn the wails into smiles… but then when he tries to smile or laugh, the milk would just dribble down the side of his mouth even more. We wasted a lot of milk during these sessions… I felt so sayang watching my liquid gold which I worked hard to pump out spilling everywhere.

I almost felt like giving up. But hubs was a real champion with his ‘never say die’ attitude. This was one battle baby was NOT going to win. Finally after numerous sessions we made some progress forward. Either Nathan got the hang of it or we hit the right technique or both together… we succeeded in getting some milk into his little tummy via the bottle although it took ages to get down barely an ounce.

CIMG3805

But today was a tremendous success, although the milk always has to be the PRECISE correct temperature and the little prince must be held in a particular position… in the end, SUCCESS!

Battle of the Bottle: winner – PARENTS!

Comments

  1. in the Suns' household three years ago
    Battle of the Bottle: winner – Baby (Emeth). =(
    i referred my "liquid gold" as "blood". because it was SO painful to pump. =(
    I didn't even TRY with Yohanan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear... I guess Emeth was even more determined. You are so strong to have been able to keep up with the breastfeeding 100% of the time. Hope the weaning process was easier

    ReplyDelete
  3. the way i see it, i am simply taking the easier way. because truly, pumping was so challenging for me. and sadder still was to see all that "blood" wasted.
    so i am happy i don't have to pump this time around (I was taking classes then when E was an infant).
    on a happier note, weaning was a breeze. for that i am most grateful because i feared the worst. i waited until we were both ready (he was 20 months old). and he had a regular source of dairy (fruits and yogurt smoothie) which he LOVED. you can ask me about it when the time comes for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... you practice extended breastfeeding? that's so fantastic. i'd like to do the same, but i don't know what my situation will be like yet. i'll just see how things go.

    and i agree that nursing directly is actually easier generally (except for the fact that you ALWAYS have to be there)... no need to bother with bottles, washing, sterilising etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »