Skip to main content

Idiot proof tau foo fah

I haven’t posted anything on my cooking escapades lately.

So here’s another one of those yummy and supposedly difficult to prepare traditional Malaysian/Singaporean delicacies, using the idiot-proof method to make.

Presenting….home made tau foo fah (the cheat version)

Start with a carton of plain soy milk.

CIMG3031

You can also use the sweet soy milk from the Asian groceries if you like the added sweetness, but authentic tau foo fah is supposed to be plain with the sweetness coming from the syrup.

Pour your desired amount into a saucepan and heat it up gently.

Now for the secret ingredient… agar-agar powder!image I added about a teaspoon to about 500ml of soy milk. I’m not sure if it is the same for all types of agar-agar powder. But the idea is to make the soy milk set to a slightly wobbly consistency… not too firm and jelly-like.

Ensure the agar-agar powder is completely dissolved then turn off the heat and set aside to let it set.

When serving it, just scoop off thin layers, just like the way real tau foo fah is served.

CIMG3026

Then ladle in some sweet syrup and enjoy!

CIMG3030

For the syrup I used gula melaka, but you can also just boil plain sugar and ginger or even with pandan leaves.

P.S. More of my idiot proof recipes with four ingredients or less

Comments

  1. This is my favourite! I didn't know you can use agar agar powder. I've always thought it's 'sek ko fun' (my mum tells me it's plaster of paris?) but that's not good. I'm definitely going to try this =) - Naryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way!!! absolutely insane. will have to try this soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks really nice, really yummy!! u have a talent, cousin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing riiiight???

    I have to confess that the idea is not entirely original. It stemmed from a craving then resorting to Google to find quick and simple solutions to satisfy my craving.

    There is some element missing in the taste of this tau foo fah, can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it's pretty good alternative to the original thing!

    Show me pics of your attempts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo i must try
    how about gelatine, that's pretty soft... softer than agar powder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya, seems like can use gelatine also. Post some pics of the result :) I'm curious to see how others' turn out

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »