Skip to main content

My Love, Loves Me…

I am thinking of my mother tonight. Not just because it is Mother’s Day tomorrow, but just because it’s one of those moments when images from my childhood come to mind.

So what comes to my mind…

One of the earliest scenes from my childhood I can remember…. I was probably around 3 years old I think, and I remember wearing favourite ‘home’ dress (a sort of comfy ‘T’ shirt material, dual colour – light yellow top and light green bottom), peering into the kitchen and my mum looking back and smiling at me.

Another early memory I have is one time when I was sitting on the steps, drinking from a porcelain mug. I dropped the mug and broke it, my mum happened to walk on the scene just then, and I broke into tears thinking I would be scolded. But instead she just leaned over and said “it’s okay, it was an accident”. Somehow this memory always touches me.

Then there are short scenes… mum gently patting us awake early in the morning to get ready for school… mum taking us out for afternoon outings to the museum, library, to the park or to the club for a swim… sitting on the kitchen floor helping mum to sift flour onto a newspaper…

Then there are songs which whenever I hear or think of them, my thoughts would always turn to my mother. In our family, my dad usually held control of all types of remotes in the house, including the one for the CD/cassette player. So it was rarely that my mum actually mentioned a particular song that she liked. But these are just a few of the ones I do remember as some of her favourites (I hope I am right).

ABBA’s ‘Slipping Through My Fingers – so melancholic, especially the line “…sleep in her eyes, her and me at the breakfast table…” and I think of all those times at the breakfast table, so sleepy (sometimes a little grouchy) and completely unaware of how precious those moments were.

Simon & Garfunkel’s ‘Scarborough Fair – the lyrics always suggested some deep philosophical meaning which I was under the impression only my mum understood. You know how sometimes when you are a kid, you would start the opening line, then mumble and hum through the song until you get to the part of the lyrics you actually know how to sing, and then you would sing that part VERY LOUDLY. That part of this song was “…parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme…”. This part of the song always sticks in my head, because I remember my mother distinctly repeating it for us clearly… my brothers must have made up some other ridiculous rendition of our own (as we frequently used to do) which was why I think my dear mother felt compelled to correct us.

AND…

Nana Mouskouri’s ‘Plaisir d’Amour – actually I’m not certain that she specifically liked Nana’s rendition of this song. But I remember that she had always liked Nana Mouskouri’s voice, and that this song was very special as it was the song played on the piano, as she walked down the aisle of Basel Church on her wedding day.

I searched out this song clip, so that I could dedicated it to her…

Happy Mother’s Day, dearest of mums.

Comments

  1. Wow!! Didn't realize you captured those scenes in your memory. I remember that cotton dress and yes I remember that cup incident. I prefer Judith Durham's rendition as it sounds more cheerful.Nana's more melancholic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, those scenes have always been at the back my mind... and it's nice to know that 'cup incident' is something special we can share just between us, mum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »