Skip to main content

More traditional toothsome treats

This weekend’s project is ‘ondeh-ondeh’

It’s one of those recipes I came across when browsing through the net and I bookmarked it to try it out.

It didn’t look to difficult, so I had in mind to prepare it for cell refreshments or some other occasion like that. However hubs said (with a cunning grin) "you’d better test it out first for practice".

So I bought/prepared the necessary ingredients:

  • 1-2 tspn pandan essence (or blend 8-10 pandan leaves with some water and strain out the juice)
  • 1½ cups glutinous rice flour + a pinch of salt
  • ½ cup boiling water
  • ½ cup grated coconut
  • A few drops of green food colouring (optional)
  • Filling: ½ cup gula melaka + 1 tbsp brown sugar

Similar to making tang yuan, just mix the flour, water, pandan juice/essence (plus optional green food colouring) until you get a soft dough. Transfer to a floured work surface and knead

Pinch of a bit of the dough, shape into a ball. Then use your thumb to create a cavity and fill with a little bit of the gula melaka + brown sugar mixture. Seal the cavity and shape back into a ball.

CIMG2961

Drop the balls into a pot of boiling water to cook. The balls will rise to surface when done. After taking them out, let them dry a little bit before tossing in the grated coconut

CIMG2964

My first attempt wasn’t the most fantastic. For one thing, it’s a bit tricky to make sure the dough is flattened out thin enough before adding the filling to make sure the dough layer isn’t too thick. That will take a bit of practice. Also, because the gula melaka will melt inside the ball when cooking, you can actually compact the sugar a lot more as you add the filling in so the ball doesn’t end up wobbly.

Apart from these imperfections, hubs said it was pretty good.

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »