Skip to main content

Enduring guilt of chocolate pleasure

Yesterday I had a craving for moist chocolate cake.

Normally I wouldn’t list chocolate cake among my top favourite desserts. I like chocolate very much, but somehow when converted into an alternative form in cakes, ice cream and drinks… I sometimes find the chocolate richness watered down.

Some chocolate ice creams taste like nothing more than frozen milo. And in case you didn’t know, I’m not a big fan of milo. Call it a result of a childhood trauma, but the smell of hot milo in milk has this ill effect on me and often even produces a gag reflex.

But good quality rich chocolaty desserts are an indulgence I don’t mind enjoying enduring once in a while.

To make sure the cake has maximum chocolate richness, I thought it best to make it myself.

CIMG2684

There’s heaps of chocolate cake recipes on the Internet. I chose one from the Cadbury website as I happened to have a bar of Cadbury milk chocolate in my pantry.

Here’s the recipe I used…

Melt 250 butter with 1 standard 200g chocolate bar (I did this in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering pot of water, but I’m sure you can do this in a microwave as well).

Dissolve a teaspoon of instant coffee and 1½ caster sugar in 1½ cups of boiling water (I cut down the sugar a little to 1 cup and it still turned out quite sweet).

Add coffee mixture to melted chocolate/butter, stir to combine and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.

I then transferred the mixture into a food processor and added 2 eggs (lightly beaten), ½ a teaspoon of vanilla essence, 1½ cups self raising flour and ½ a cup cocoa powder, and then whizzed up everything in one go (I use a food processor to mix all my cake batters, not having an electric mixer, and my cake usually turns out okay).

Pour batter into a cake tin (I lined mine with baking paper) and bake in a 140ÂşC fan forced oven (or 160ÂşC conventional oven) for 1 to 1¼ hours. Cool for 30 minutes in cake tin before turning out onto a wire rack.

For the frosting, I made a chocolate royal icing by whipping 2 egg whites with 1½ cups icing sugar and ½ a cup of cocoa powder.

CIMG2683

Enjoy and endure the guilt with the pleasure.

Comments

  1. goodness me! yum! oh my god! yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eh you really shouldnt post up these sort of things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think of it as a feast for your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. emeth saw the cake and asked where is the meow? =) as far as he is concerned, yours is the website with the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha... I will keep that in mind and not forget to post the occasional pic of Mishu every now and then for his especial benefit!

    *Holding up Mishu's paw and waving it at Emeth from across the Pacific*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »