Skip to main content

The dawn of the cat era

We have been talking about getting a pet. A dog would have been great, but I think they do need a quite a bit of attention and particularly consistent training at the start, which we knew we could not give. So we talked about getting a cat.

Hubby had never had a pet before, so he had a lot of questions.

“What kind of things will we need to get for it?”

“How much will it cost to maintain it?”

“How long can it live up to?”

I duly answered his questions and did some research on the ones I wasn’t sure of… and when he was satisfied with the information, then came the best question yet…

“Aaah, OK… cool, cool… so what can the cat do for us?”

“Huh? do for us? He will love us lar! What do you mean?”

“I mean like, what can it do… like maybe catch insects for us or something…”

I burst out laughing.

“Seriously, who knows… maybe can get some ROI or tax benefits for pest control or something”

“You mean like put the cat in our investment property for it to catch insects? Pleeeease lar…no way, man!”

But after such discussions, we seriously started to look into it. I did some of research, looking into the pros and cons of different breeds and adoption options.

Then just last week I happen to mention it to my colleague, and she exclaimed excitedly “…my friend has been trying to look for someone to adopt her cat! She’s moving back to Canada in a few weeks and wants to find a good home for him…

So she introduced us, had a look at some photos (he was gorgeous!) and we popped by their apartment to meet him.

They called him Roo, or Roux which means ‘red hair’ in French (they're a French Canadian couple). He was just over a year old, they had adopted him as a kitten from the RSPCA.

IMG_0751

We loved him on the spot… he was such a gorgeous rich reddish-orange colour, beautiful big golden eyes, and showed an inquisitive, affectionate temperament.

He seems to be settling in pretty well. He’s been a busy explorer in our house, which must be a big change compared to the cosy little apartment he came from.

He’s already established this little corner as one of his favourite spots… here he is just woken up from a nice siesta

CIMG2430

Look at those big eyes... don't you think they're just like 'Puss in Boots' in Shrek?

See how manja he is

CIMG2435

Love me, love me…

CIMG2436

Le purrrrrr.

CIMG2437

We have been calling him Mishu. Seems to suit him well with his super teh and manja character.

Comments

  1. I also got questions about your cat
    - do u hv to pay for adopting him?
    - Were u given (or you bought) his gear as well?
    - u can just change his name?

    Guess u can't take ur cat out for picnics unless it is in your own backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is not obese... he's just very furry. He is quite a small eater, we feed him about 100g of cat food a day.

    We didn't have to pay for adopting him. We offered to pay something, but they refused and said they just wanted to find a good home, so we might get them a gift or something as a thanks.

    Yes, they gave us his 'equipment' as he is quite attached to his own toys, blanket, sleeping bed, cushion and scratching post.

    Well, we tried 'Roux' a couple of times, but maybe our pronounciation is not 'French' enough.

    Ya, no outdoor excursions for this guy. He likes being indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he looks so pampered. nice fur, confident that he's being loved. and yes he does look a lot like puss in shrek. i've always liked antonio banderas, more so when he's aging so well now

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute! am not cat person but his eyes look smart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cantik kitty kat ! :)
    looks exactly like puss in boots !

    eu lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!! he IS fat!! didn't believe it until i saw him. We should put both our cats in a weight loss regime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? He doesn’t seem fat because he’s quite fluffy. Should I cut down his food intake? I feel so sorry for him because he always seems ravenous at meal times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm... cats almost never overeat so maybe he needs MORE FOOD????
    ehehheehe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. christopher wants to have a look at your cat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ya... come over any time!

    BTW, heard that Ronald is away for almost 2 weeks, hope your boys and girl are being good :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »