Skip to main content

Lifelong commitment

The common question now everytime I meet up with friends and relatives is... "so when is your baby coming?".

I always give a nice answer... "not so soon", or "we haven't thought about it yet", or "we're just enjoying this stage of our marriage for now".

I try to take it lightly as it's just the natural progression of things people assume... after getting married it's basically the next logical step right?

I try not to resent the jabs and jokes and knowing looks from these well-meaning friends and relatives... still part of me can't help being a little irritated...

Currently, the latest version of my response to such questions is "I'm not psychologically prepared for it yet". Sometimes it stumps them for a moment... so are we having kids or are we not? But I decided to give this as my most frank answer... because really, that's exactly how I feel...

Sometimes I wonder if most people ever really consider the whole gravity of bringing a child into the world... it seems so easy for them to just go "ok, we've been married XX months/years, now it's time for kids, let's do it!".

But for me... so many thoughts flit through my mind... my whole lifestyle will have to change... think of the money involved... we'll be stuck with them for the next 20 years at least...

OK OK OK... I know I'm just focusing on the negative side there... there is the upside of course and the immeasurable joy of having children blah blah blah... BUT my point is that this is indeed a VERY SERIOUS undertaking... not be taken lightly. This is a LIFELONG COMMITMENT... sort of the same reason I take marriage so seriously as well.

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »