Skip to main content

The end of an era… and the start of a new one

I mentioned in my last post that one of the biggest questions going through my head is about Nathan and his relationship with the new baby. Managing sibling rivalry/jealousy is generally one of the biggest topics and FAQs in all the parenting forums related to preparing for a second baby.

DSC03606Sometimes I wonder how I’d be able to love another little one as enormously and completely as I already do with Nathan. He’s growing into the cutest, smartest, affectionate and most lovable little chap that I just love him so much to bits.

Some of the adorable and loving things he does…

  • Suddenly holding up his arms asking for a “Huugg!” for no apparent reason
  • Giving me an impromptu kiss while holding on to my shoulders as I help him into his pants
  • Once he came up to me while I was sitting with my head down having a difficult moment and tenderly put his hand on my shoulder while asking “whas da matta, mummy?”

At the moment I’m probably a big central part of his whole world… his main playmate, caretaker, comforter and companion. But after this I know I will somehow need to manage dividing my time, attention and even lap space. So I agonise quite a bit over what the situation would be life from Nathan’s perspective… would he feel sidelined? Less loved? Less important? Neglected?

I wish I could somehow make him understand everything… to prepare him in some way… to help him see that my love for him will not be any less.

You could say I’m almost grieving a little over the end of this era with Nathan… after all he is sort of being forced to grow up in a way. Without fully comprehending  what is going on, he will be compelled to have to deal with the fact that it will be no longer just about him.

Of course it’s true that he will be losing his only-child status and exclusive relationship and undivided attention from mummy and daddy, but on the other hand he will be gaining a new sibling to love and play with for life.

Well I suppose we are coming to an end of an era.

But it is also the beginning of a new one.

Comments

  1. I'm pretty sure that you'll all need time to adjust to it so don't over worry things :) You probably should expect that there'll be less time for him but that means you can spend more time with him now. I'm sure that Nathan will be welcoming of his little sibling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »