Skip to main content

First foray into solids

After all that gearing up for the solids plunge, Nathan’s first dipstick test into the wonderful new world of solids was actually somewhat anticlimactic. I was bracing myself for an onslaught of protests, spitting, messes, food faces and other such antics.

But once he took that first mouthful of rice cereal…

CIMG4398

I think he was hooked!

He seemed to be clamouring for more...

CIMG4394

Toward the end of that first feeding session, he even appeared to want to feed himself (perhaps being already familiar with his friend, the spoon)

Lemme have the spoon mummy, I know how this works

CIMG4393

I actually took a cautious approach and only prepared small amount for breakfast to try out after the usual morning nursing session – about a tablespoon of rice cooked in a quarter cup of water (with half ounce of breast milk mixed in). I fed him just half of that portion. I wanted to be sure he didn’t have any bad reactions or tummy upsets following his first taste of solids.

I skipped a round of solids at lunch just to continue to keep a look out for any unpleasant effects. He seemed to be perfectly alright and happily played and napped as usual. So at dinner time I decided to try a tiny portion of something else…

Avocado!

I scooped out about a tablespoonful, mashed it up and mixed in about half an ounce of breastmilk.

I think the taste of this one surprised him a bit more than the rice. But after a few initial ‘food face’ moments, he got straight into it. He was even instinctively opening his mouth each time the spoon approached his lips.

CIMG4402

Wow! Two rounds of solids in one day! I hope it wasn’t too much for his first day.

CIMG4400

So there you go, Nathan… your first foray into solids – a whole wide world of new tastes and flavours out there await you.

So bon apetit!


Since the dipstick test went pretty well, I went on to prepare a few more portions of solids to freeze ahead of time. I didn’t go crazy and prepare truckloads of food – just one ice-cube tray of pureed vegetables, half of mashed sweet potato, half of pureed carrots.

CIMG4405

I figured other foods can be prepared on the spot, like the rice cereal, and fruits like avocado and banana. So I think we’re set for now.

I just need to make more bibs.


(P.S. I’m still keeping a look out for any possible nasty surprises at nappy change time. So far we’re all in the clear)

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »