Skip to main content

Stewed pork belly: a sure winner

I can’t think what to say about this except you MUST try this. Not difficult to make and will guarantee make your husband/family/children fall down on their knees in ecstasy.
This is the recipe I used:
  • About ½ kg skinless pork belly, about 2-3cm wide strips
  • 2 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 2-3 cups water
Arrange pork belly in a pot, pour in sauces, shaoxing wine (don’t put in the sugar) and add the water, just enough to cover most of the pork belly.

Bring the liquid to a boil then adjust heat to simmer gently. After half an hour, check the water level and flip the pork belly to cook the other side.

CIMG2969

Check again after another half an hour. The pork fat should be very soft to an almost melt in your mouth texture. At this stage, be careful when pushing the pork around to make sure you do not squish the fat.

Add the sugar and turn up the heat to reduce the liquid to a thick gravy-like, syrupy consistency.

Allow the pork to cool before slicing.

CIMG2972

Drizzle some sauce over and serve. The taste is absolutely orgasmic!

I served it with some mantou and the moment hubby took a bite, he gave me a look like I was the BEST wife in the world.

CIMG2980

I’m telling you… this is like soooo wauwauwau until cannot take it. You HAVE to try it for yourselves and tell me all about it.

Comments

  1. my mouth water is now drilling...drilling...drilling...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever. It's my favourite too - as filling for pau

    ReplyDelete
  3. attempting this recipe as I type. Pork belly arranged, sauce in, waiting for it to boil. No shaoxing wine, used whusky instead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaI meant whisky. Also lost count when putting in dark sauce, as I was talking to Sew Tian on the phone!! Will taste as I go...fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! Let me know how it turns out.

    The liquid may seem watery as you simmer the pork... but later part when you add the sugar and boil it down will the sauce become yummy and thick.

    Tell your 4 boys not to drool too much everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what can i use instead of shaoxing wine.. don't think we have that here. This post is torturing, I must try making it...arghhh

    ReplyDelete
  7. 8/10 is what Ronald gave. I didn't put as much sugar, which might explained why I didn't get 10/10. Ronald likes it sweet. We had it with rice last night and noodles tonight. I will attempt this dish again, easy to cook and very tasty. Thanks! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. with less sugar, the sauce may not be as thick. But actually it's also good to cut down on sugar anyway. Maybe just do it to the max once so that Ronald will at least remember the highest standard the dish is capable of! Even if all subsequent attempts need to be a bit 'healthier'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wini - other alchohol substitutes you can use are whisky, sherry or gin.

    Actually, you can try omitting the alcohol. I think it will turn out ok.

    If you're concerned about ensuring that the dish has enough flavour, some tips I can think of is to add 2-3 cloves and/or star anise. But if not possible, I think it will still be ok.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »