Skip to main content

Fortune cookie clues birthday pressie for hubs

Hubby's birthday is coming up soon in May. I've been planning something special leading up to the big day. After some contemplation, I came up with what I believe to be a romantic and definitely creative idea...

I can't tell you what the big finale on the actual day is because hubby reads this blog as well. But I decided to prepare some clues for hubby every day to build up the anticipation up until his birthday.

At first I thought of putting the clues in little envelopes which he can open each day, but then I had a sudden epiphany...

FORTUNE COOKIES!!!

After doing a bit of research, I found out that they were not that difficult to make... just requires a bit of thought and preparation.

This is the recipe I used:



Ingredients
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 teaspoons water

Beat egg whites, vanilla extract, almond extract and vegetable oil until frothy. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar. Stir the water into the flour mixture, then combine with the egg white mixture until you have a smooth paste like batter.

Preheat the oven to 180°Celcius. Drop teaspoons of the batter onto a cookie sheet and spread out into a circle about 8-10cm in diametre. Make sure the batter is spaced about 3-4cm apart.

Bake for about 10-12 minutes until the edges start to brown. Remove the cookie from the sheet with a spatula, flip over and place small strip of paper in the middle of the cookie. The cookie will be still hot and pliable at this stage. Quickly fold in half then gently pull edges downward over a rim of a glass.

I then placed the folded cookies in muffin tins to let them cool down while maintaining their shape.


It took one or two tries at first before I got the hang of it. I burnt a couple of fingers but after that it was pretty straightforward process.

Here's the finished product with the clues all folded up neatly inside each cookie...


Sorry I didn't capture any photos of the process as I had to work very quickly with the hot cookies, and I couldn't ask hubby to help take the photos obviously... maybe the next time I make them, k?

Cookies all nicely gift-wrapped to present to hubby...


He was very excited to receive the cookies and is now hugging the jar possessively while waiting for me to finish this entry so we can unwrap the first clue...

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »